Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i searched how to do this on the site here and i seem to only come up with newer versions(outback)

i seem to have difficulties getting at the cabin airfilters in my 2000 wagon....

i looked at both manuals i own. haynes mentions that the fiters exist but doesnt show how to change them.....

so from what i can see i have to remove he glove compartment that has two screws that are IMPOSSIBLE to get to and loosen.

Am i missing something? my car is gathering quite an intersting moldy smell and i would like it gone

·
Registered
137 Posts
There is 2 filters stacked on top of each other. You have to drop down the glovebox from its frame by pushing in the 2 pins on the side of the glove box that hold the glove box in the frame. You basically have to crush the glove box together really hard to get them to clear the frame. Once you drop it you have to undo about 8 screws holding the frame in and allow it to fall, making sure you dont pull to glove box light wires when you drop it. Take off the trim side panel next to the left side of the glove box, it has 3 clips that have to be popped off by pulling it gently and one screw at the very top of the panel under the dash. This panel has one screw also under the glove box frame that has to be undone. Once you drop the whole glove box and frame there is a panel with a connector attached to it. Disconnect the connector and remove the panel by carefully removing 4 spring clips holding it on. After you remove the spring clips, dont pry them off in the center, the panel should slide down to remove it. The filters are stacked on top of eachother inside. They are in plastic frames.

I use to get the real filters from the dealer but they are pricey but do come with instructions. The filters are in plastic frames. Now I buy a fram fresh breeze for another type of car and make them myself. If you want to go this route buy the fram fresh breeze model number CF10140. Its big enough to be able to cut out the material to fit in the plastic frames from the factory filters. I have two sets of plastic frames so I just make another set and keep reusing the frames. Fram does make a fresh breeze for the 00-04 outbacks but they run about twice as much as making your own, but still cheaper and probably better than the factory filter. Stores usually wont carry these so you will have to order them online. Make sure you clean out the area with a vaccum before you install the new filters as lots of junk will get past them. If you make your own make sure the black carbon side of the fram filter is towards the a/c evaperator, which is the left side looking forward. Have this planned out before you cut them so you dont have to get another filter piece if you cut it backwards as the bottom filter frame is not square. The fram filter will have an arrow showing direction of airflow as far as what side goes where. the air moves from right to left in the airbox assembly when looking forward .

When you put it all back remember the glove box light will not come on unless the headlights are turned on so you dont think you messed up the light taking out the glovebox. Making your own with CF10140 is about 17 bucks, a real fresh breeze for the car is about 34 plus shipping to order it and a factory filter is in the 50 dollar range last time I checked. I like the fresh breeze because it has the carbon on it to reduce odors. The factory filter is just plain white, not very impressive.

Link to the CF10140 [ame]http://www.amazon.com/CF10140-Fresh-Breeze-Cabin-Filter/dp/B0010DW608[/ame]

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you want to get rid of a mold smell subaru sells an a/c refresher kit for about twenty bucks. It has a foam that you shoot up through the evaporator discharge line that cleans the evaporator and drain pan, as well as a aerosol that you shoot into the fresh air vent under the passenger side wiper, selecting different vent positions as you spray it. I just did it today on my car. Go to youtube and search " subaru chemicals". Their is a factory video from subaru showing you how to use the kit. I paid about 25 at the dealer but you can get for 16 online. You have to remove the cabin filters while you do the service so you might want to do it all at once. Make sure you seal the airbox back up without the filters in before you spray in the foam or you have a mess inside your car. This treatment wil solve your mold problems. Try this link for the video.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just saw Oreilly Auto Parts has the fram fresh breeze model number CF10383 for 60 bucks but it says unavailable so I think they are very hard to find these days due to their limited car model use so making your own is the best way to go to have a quality filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts