Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few times a year I go to Yosemite. During winter months, they require everyone to be carrying chains, even if you're AWD. In several hundred visits, I've only see conditions require chains on 4WD/AWD once. That said, the rangers can ask to see them and deny you entrance if you don't have them.

The owners manual says traditional chains can't be used but does anyone have experience with cable chains on these cars? I'm likely going to have to buy some to stick in the back of the car and I don't expect to need them, but if I did I'd like to know they're going to fit.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
02 OBW
128 Posts
Let us know what you end up getting - I've been thinking of picking up some as well. I believe SSC (Security Chain Company) makes cables that meet the lower clearance requirements (last time I did a quick search).

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
842 Posts
Basically any low profile cable will work. The main selling point of the SSC Z6 cables is the following:

1. Ease of installation. Latter cables can be a pain to install, epically in bad weather.
2. The Z pattern has more consistent traction than latters.
3. They are a good combo of performance and relatively low cost. Last I looked at prices, you could get two sets for ~$150. Some cable systems can $300-400 per axle.

It's up to you what is important. If you just need something to keep the DOT guys happy, then there is no reason to spend much.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Go with as low priced low profile you can find. Given chances are you will NEVER EVER even open the bag they come in. I used a borrowed set once to climb out of an iced up steep driveway. They came off the second we were on the street. That is the only time inf 15yrs I've ever put cables on a subaru.

I need to pick up something for my new subaru given the tire size doesn't work for my old set I never opened. LOL AMAZON cheapest cable set I can find given I doubt I will ever use them. And If I need to use them for more than climbing out of a iced up steep driveway chances are no one will be on the roads anyway which case stay home and watch the game and drink an irish coffee

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Limited
34 Posts
Has anyone tried the ONORM chains? (P215-65R-17 Tire Chains) It seems they are pretty slim but I don't know if they would fit the OB (2013). Also, I just bought a set of Altimax Arctic and was wondering if these would be a big a improvement over those tires in deep snow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts