Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
If the rarely declared R3 conditions ever occur on Sierra roadways, you will be installing cables/chains on your Subaru.
As mentioned, roads are usually closed before that happens.
Somewhere there is a Ca state law that requires carrying chains even if you never plan to use them.
+1. I have been driving 4WD vehicles to Tahoe since the early eighties and have never been required to chain up. They always closed the road first. I still keep a set under the seat and have never been asked to show proof.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 White SAP
121 Posts
Two years ago , my brother in law was required to chain up his 4 wheel drive MDX going east over hwy 80. I was driving a Chrysler T&C heading west and he called me as I was going into Reno. I waited out the storm in Gardnerville at a friend's home and went out over hwy 88 the next day.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Two years ago , my brother in law was required to chain up his 4 wheel drive MDX going east over hwy 80. I was driving a Chrysler T&C heading west and he called me as I was going into Reno. I waited out the storm in Gardnerville at a friend's home and went out over hwy 88 the next day.
They will do that if the tires or tire type are insufficient. I've seen MDX's - Audi's and a few other Luxury brands all required to chain up due to the wrong tire type on the vehicle regardless of AWD.

As I and others have stated proper all season tires + Subaru you will never chain up in Tahoe on an Open road.

Carry the cables - don't ever expect to use them

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought the SZ143 and tried them in my garage last night before we go up to Whistler later this month. First time I've ever had to install cables and it's a bit of a PITA. Glad I got the larger size since it still required a bit of tugging to get them on the stock tires.

I hope the Mounties are like all the CHP stories in this thread and having cables is just a formality for AWD becasue I'd hate trying to put these on while next to a highway.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
779 Posts
Cheapo

Last March, after a big dump (maybe the only one last year) at Mammoth, the Canyon lot hill was an ice rink. After sliding through a turn and backing to the side of the hill, I watched three cars play bumper slam side to side off parked cars down the hill. I easily put on my pair of cheapo WalMart cables on the fronts and left them on for a day and a half. The roads were ok in town, but I didn't like that ice hill on the contis even with AWD under power. Easy on and no problem with the car around town under 30mph. IMO the cheapo's from WalMart work just fine. Hope to never use them again. Didn't use them in LCC at Alta on a couple icy days or in icy Logan Canyon last winter.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts