Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Limited
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've ever done research on brake upgrades for Subarus you may have found that there's an adapter kit available to install Cadillac ATS 4 pot Brembos onto a WRX / Subaru BRZ, etc.

Subarus are made cost effective so a lot of parts are actually cross-compatible between models and that means it applies to the Outback as well ???

Used the BWC fabrications kit for this, which unlike the kit in the video does not require drilling out the existing caliper mounting holes, so the mod is reversible.

·
Premium Member
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
631 Posts
That looks real interesting. Any idea how big the rotor spacer is? I'm hoping 3mm or less to avoid needing longer wheel studs.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,078 Posts
I have see this a while ago. This Mod works for the Gen3 OB also.

Many calipers can be adapted with custom hangers.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,209 Posts
Let us know what this does to the OB's mushy brake pedal. I'd think the 4-pots need twice as much fluid displacement and make the pedal even more vague.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Brake feel and modulation ability is increased. That is why you see opposed piston brakes on higher end cars

·
Master Caster
16,078 Posts
Let us know what this does to the OB's mushy brake pedal. I'd think the 4-pots need twice as much fluid displacement and make the pedal even more vague.
I swapped WRX Subaru 4 pots on my 2005 and the are about equal-ish to the OEM OBXT sidewiders. Compared to the upgrades on Frankie, Cherry is night and day, Frankie is far superior. 4 Pots or not.

Pads and rotors can be more effective pots vs sliders.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I agree real good pads and rotors make a huge difference. 4-pots with real good pads and rotors might be even better and they look great.

·
Master Caster
16,078 Posts
They look great.

I do confess. I did them on Cherry just for the aesthetic.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I confess. I had red 4-pots on the 04 FXT and matching WRX 2-pots on the rear.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And your thoughts?
The brakes are more commanding and some of the vagueness in the pedal has gone away. It seems somewhat divey towards the front but I have a feeling this can be compensated by slightly larger rear calipers or more aggressive rear pads. I'm still running the OEM setup in the rear.

That looks real interesting. Any idea how big the rotor spacer is? I'm hoping 3mm or less to avoid needing longer wheel studs.
The rotor spacer behind the rotor is 2-3mm, and the one in front I had used was 12mm, which I found had little clearance space to spare. The 8mm I ordered wasn't clearing the calipers. The BWC kit explicitly notes that this doesn't work with OE wheels, but with this amount of spacing it fit. Apparently this is supposed to work with some aftermarket wheels and wouldn't need as aggressive spacing.

Longer wheel studs are definitely required but the ones recommended in the youtube video are a bit excessive and are the ones I used. They don't have to be quite as long.

I confess. I had red 4-pots on the 04 FXT and matching WRX 2-pots on the rear.
Can you send some info about the rear 2-pots?

Here are the components used:
  • BWC kit: Subaru ATS Caliper Bracket Kit
  • 12mm 5x100 spacers
- 2004 STI Brembo Rotors
- Lugs
- Wheel studs x2
- Pads for 2005 Cadillac CTS

- Calipers
Driver side CALIPER ASSEMBLY 172-2777
Passenger side CALIPER ASSEMBLY 172-2768
- Steel braided line kit for 2004 Impreza
- Caliper clips & pins kit

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can't edit the older post it seems.

Don't get the lugs I posted though if you have silver wheels it doesn't look good. I ordered these to replace them and they look much closer to OEM, more elegant:

Also the studs I posted previously are 3in underhead length and require deeper nuts. The ones above just barely cover the long studs above so I don't have to replace them. I ordered these for the rears to adjust to equal spacing:
Underhead Length (in):2.535 in.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,957 Posts
Can't edit the older post it seems.

Don't get the lugs I posted though if you have silver wheels it doesn't look good. I ordered these to replace them and they look much closer to OEM, more elegant:

Also the studs I posted previously are 3in underhead length and require deeper nuts. The ones above just barely cover the long studs above so I don't have to replace them. I ordered these for the rears to adjust to equal spacing:
Underhead Length (in):2.535 in.
If you want me to edit anything into the original just let me know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Got another set of 12mm Titan spacers for the rear end to even out the tracking since I had some steering wheel vibration at high speed after the change presumably due to a reverberation from the offset geometry. Rides perfect now, like before. Seems more planted as well considering the overall stance for the car is an inch wider.

Keep in mind you need the longer studs if you want to add spacers. I used the ARP 100-7729 studs linked in the earlier post.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
392 Posts
Have you looked up the price of STI brembos?
So, this leads to the next question...... what do you figure this upgrade cost you? Got a number?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts