Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2019 White Outback 3.6 Touring
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'll be buying/leasing a new Outback soon and I live in California. Does anybody have recommendations for the best dealerships to visit (or avoid)? I'm interested in getting the best price as well as a dealership that's easy to work with. Willing to drive just about anywhere in California. Thank you!

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
398 Posts
CurrentlyI live in the Bay Area (at least for the next 2 weeks when I will be moving to NV). I purchased my 2012 at Stevens Creek Subaru in San Jose. Both Livermore Subaru and Stevens Creek were willing to deal. My local dealer (Diablo Subaru) was not. In fact, they weren't even willing to sit down and talk price.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
CurrentlyI live in the Bay Area (at least for the next 2 weeks when I will be moving to NV). I purchased my 2012 at Stevens Creek Subaru in San Jose. Both Livermore Subaru and Stevens Creek were willing to deal. My local dealer (Diablo Subaru) was not. In fact, they weren't even willing to sit down and talk price.
Diablo was bought a couple of yrs ago and has been absolutely horrible both in sales experience and insanely priced simple service items. I would be perfectly happy to see them boycotted. They are owned by an out of area Auto Group.

Albany Subaru is the only local family owned Subaru dealer I know of. Steven’s Creek is locally owned but has spotty sales history you can do well or get royally hosed at Steven’s Creek pending your luck of the draw etc.

Fairfield Subaru I bought two cars from them about a month after they opened in 2009. However about 3-4 yrs later they hired new staff and became another typical sh-tty dealer selling mileage based dealer service packages scamming old ladies etc.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
315 Posts
I am on the Peninsula in the SF Bay Area.

In May I asked for online quotes from 15 dealers around the Bay; N to Santa Rosa; NE to Fairfield; E to Modesto (though likely wouldn't have gone past Livermore); and S to Santa Cruz. All this was via email (as opposed to calling or using the dealers' online price quote).

Serramonte was lowest by exactly $1k. A few other dealers were within $2K. That was a little over 20% off MSRP, and at the time Serramonte seemed to be offering smoking deals. They also had enough inventory that my specific preferences could be met, whereas some of the other somewhat competitive dealers had to offer up a backup color, or options I didn't want. They may still be offering aggressive deals; I don't know for sure (they're the highest volume dealer in CA for years running, and 3rd or 4th in the nation on any given day). My purchase process was pretty easy, too. I know nothing about their service department just yet. And, if you're interested in Serramonte, be aware that they impose a $1k surcharge on anyone buying from more than 180 miles away.

I suggest you invest a few hours in reading back through the MSRP thread in the Gen 5 forum, looking at CA sales in the last six months to a year. It might give you better insight. My recollection was NorCal seemed to be more competitive than SoCal as a generalization, although there are always deals to be had from time to time.

The MSRP thread goes back to 2014 and has almost 6,000 replies, so you might go to the last page, and then page jump back to January or something. https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/158858-msrp-invoice-purchase-price-thread.html

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5 No eyesight package/no navi
176 Posts
I purchased from Livermore. I wouldn't go back even if they were the last dealership in California. Modesto seems to be pretty nice, but they run a little higher. My colleague at work had a good experience buying his STI from Maita in Sacramento via the web.

I've found that you need to stick to what you want and not let any of them try to talk you out of what you want. Be prepared to walk if needed. There are lots of dealerships in the bay area and central valley to chose from. Settling for anything less than what you want is not worth it.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Keep in mind dealers can dealer swap for the exact car you want. So in the end all that matters is the final price. My last new car was a ford bought in 2016. My local desler was the worst of 15 that I contacted. When I got the current yr at invoice reply from a dealer an hour away. I called my jerk off local dealer and asked if he was collecting or selling today because I was buying and either he got the sale or his competition got the sale and chances are one of them would be doing a dealer trade for my car. 30 min later my local guy was unwrapping our car for invoice. LOL

My Subaru was dealer traded 500 miles I paid $400 transport fee. And paid invoice lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
AVOID McKenna Subaru

Hi all, I'll be buying/leasing a new Outback soon and I live in California. Does anybody have recommendations for the best dealerships to visit (or avoid)? I'm interested in getting the best price as well as a dealership that's easy to work with. Willing to drive just about anywhere in California. Thank you!
I would definitely not go to McKenna Subaru in Huntington Beach......I thought I had a deal to buy a 2019 Ascent at below MSRP but the new GM overruled the deal the day before the new car was delivered....I had waited over 4 months for it....I was told they were not making deals on the Ascent because it was new and demand would be intense and ALL dealers were/would be selling it at MSRP.....Well, 2 days later I ordered one at
(ETA November:frown2:) another local dealer at thousands below MSRP.....Obviously they were not honest in their “only at MSRP” statement....I am sure there are a lot of sheep out there that would/will believe them....
The other dealer was Timmons Subaru in Long Beach....I have heard that Sierra Subaru(Monrovia?) and Ocean Subaru are willing to deal.Sangera Subaru(Bakersfield) is also supposed to have good pricing....Email them to get a idea of their pricing...:nerd:
I think Sangera will also deliver & if you push them will do it for free....:smile2:

·
Registered
97 Outback 230000
1,134 Posts
My BFF tried Redding and Chico both but found a better price in Oregon City, Oregon with no charges for being over 180 miles away. I went with her to buy it, they'd never heard of such a charge.

·
Registered
Here to research and drool till I get my next Subaru.
19 Posts
I bought my 15 Outback at Renick Subaru in Fullerton. It’s now called Ocean Subaru. They were awesome. Got a fair price and was in and out within an hour.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I bought my new 2018 Outback Limited in May of this year. Based on my experience the best price on the West Coast is from Seramonte Subaru - just north of the San Francisco Airport. It would appear that due to their volume they get a greater discount than other Subaru dealers. I negotiated the price over the phone - drove 240 miles - paid cash - drove the car home. I saved approximately $2,000. Yes they do charge a higher price if you live more than 200 miles away but they were upfront and honest about this on the phone. This “surcharge” appears to be imposed by Subaru of America to keep them from embarrassing other lower volume Subaru dealers. My limited experience would be that dealers in Central and Southern Calif are not interested or motivated to seriously discount.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring
110 Posts
Serramonte Subaru in Daly City. 3 other dealers could not match their price.
+1 for Serramonte (Bay Area). I don't think anyone would come remotely as close to these guys as pricing goes and definitely not service. We live in SF and didn't have a car at the time. The dealership came and picked us up during rush hour to sign papers and then dropped us off afterwards.

2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring (Crystal White Pearl/Java Brown)
Popular Package #3 (All Weather, Auto-Dim, Rear Seat Protector, Thule Crossbar Set, etc)

MSRP: $40,809
Sale Price: $33,795 @ 0% 48 Months (NOT Including SF Tax/Title/Fees)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Avoid McKenna Subaru

I bought my 15 Outback at Renick Subaru in Fullerton. It’s now called Ocean Subaru. They were awesome. Got a fair price and was in and out within an hour.
Ordered a new Subaru Ascent from Timmons....The process was easy , mainly via email & text....Russell Csonka was the salesperson.....
McKenna reneged on a deal I thought we had the day before my new car was delivered.....:frown2:
Subaru got involved etc. it was a mess.....
Bottom line avoid McKenna.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts