Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Impreza 2.2 Gen 1, Impreza 1999 2.2 Gen2
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guy's
New to Subaru’s, been a longtime fan of Audis until I bought the wife a 1997 Impreza, loved it so much I sold the Audi and brought myself a 1999 Impreza with the Gen2 2.2 engine.
Went with the 2.2 because of all the bad stories i had read about the 2.5. Plus the 2.2 was with in my budget.
Both imprezas are the sport. anyhow my question is, the 1999 impreza (Gen 2) came from California and the 1997 (Gen1) came from Colorado, the 97 drives great nice and nippy and gets 32 MPG but the 99 is sluggish and only gets at best 30MPG, I know emissions on CA are very tight, and where I live I do not need emissions, so question is what have the Californian’s done to reduce the performances and what can I do to bring this 1999 impreza back to life?
Cheers

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Hi Guy's
New to Subaru’s, been a longtime fan of Audis until I bought the wife a 1997 Impreza, loved it so much I sold the Audi and brought myself a 1999 Impreza with the Gen2 2.2 engine.
Went with the 2.2 because of all the bad stories i had read about the 2.5. Plus the 2.2 was with in my budget.
Both imprezas are the sport. anyhow my question is, the 1999 impreza (Gen 2) came from California and the 1997 (Gen1) came from Colorado, the 97 drives great nice and nippy and gets 32 MPG but the 99 is sluggish and only gets at best 30MPG, I know emissions on CA are very tight, and where I live I do not need emissions, so question is what have the Californian’s done to reduce the performances and what can I do to bring this 1999 impreza back to life?
Cheers
I suggest you have what they refer as "high altitude" tune up on the California model.
I remember all my friends in Mammoth have this tune up done there and their cars run OK....
When I lived in Boulder and wanted to register my car there I needed an emission test and sticker. Why are you saying that CO has no emission laws? Or has the law changed recently?

·
Registered
1997 Impreza 2.2 Gen 1, Impreza 1999 2.2 Gen2
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live out of town Kiowa (50 miles from Denver) don't have emissions, nor do they salt the roads :), But we are 6500 feet above sea level.

Was hoping that it was a simple case of swapping out the ECU, I know CA play with the timing and restrict the air / exhaust and add hoses to suck on everything in the hopes to reduce emissions.
Does anyone know if the ECU on a CA car is different from another state.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts