Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading up on the ridiculous new laws our idiot lawmakers dreamed up for 2013, I noticed that AB2405 seems to indicate that vehicles meeting California's "Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emission Vehicle" (AT-PZEV) qualify for that beloved carpool exemption bumper sticker for single riders.

Basically, this is the same sticker Arnold gave us for Prius and electric vehicles.

The full text of the bill can be found here, for you "forum-lawyers" to debate the merits of.

My guess is that lawmakers enacted this and neglected to give details to the DMV (this early at least). If the DMV is open tomorrow, I may take advantage of this inherent lack of understanding of the new law and get myself a sticker.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Wow - that's going to be tough for law enforecement (CHP) to look for that little PZEV insignia, I would think!
Upflying, what do you think?

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow - that's going to be tough for law enforecement (CHP) to look for that little PZEV insignia, I would think!
Upflying, what do you think?
Law Enforcement will be looking for one of these:

... not the tiny PZEV badge.

Not sure about the color (yellow vs white)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
IFAIK, only full electric (Nissan Leaf), Volt and maybe the plug in Prius qualify for the carpool lane, solo occupant stickers.
Let us know what happens at DMV, I predict you will be denied.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
I read that even the Chevy Volt was denied AT-PZEV status. I don't think they're going to fall for a Subaru... But it is the DMV, so you never know.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
The car pool lane exempt stickers were started with the idea to generate an additional reason for people to invest money ie purchase new ultra low emissions vehicles.

This list is allowed to change as new tech makes the older tech not so ultra low emissions etc.

No other reason CA does this other than to encourage the purchase of ultra low to zero emissions vehicles. Nothing wrong with that but given I now have a couple of Tesla products on our street I suspect that list will eventually be electric plug in only vehicles. And given the rate of adoption I see around my hood that plug in only list might happen sooner than later.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
Not to bring politics into this at all, but when they first did this for hybrid vehicles I began to lose my faith in humanity.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
And given the rate of adoption I see around my hood that plug in only list might happen sooner than later.
That is also called "drinking the Koolaid".
This is Justin Bieber's chrome Tesla S. For this reason only, I will never buy a Tesla.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
That is also called "drinking the Koolaid".
This is Justin Bieber's chrome Tesla S. For this reason only, I will never buy a Tesla.
Two years ago none of my peeps had hybrid or plugin. Today 10 of them own plugins and two of them just bought a second plugin.

I suspect the joke is on the people who still think they need a oil burner for their daily needs.

As for JB the only thing I know about him is that my friends 7yr old asked recently why JB keeps grabbing his vagina when singing. LOL If everyone was so sensitive to who owned cars as you UpFlying - I'm surprised you owned a Subaru given its the Lesbian car of choice and all. LOL

I drove a friends leaf the other day. He bought it about 5 months ago and his wife commutes 50 miles a day with it. He is now considering getting the new Tesla and getting rid of his volvo SUV. As for the Leaf? Nice ride and for sure something to consider. My dads girl friend wrecked her Mercedes Eclass AMG two weeks ago and the first car she went and looked at was the Tesla as a possible replacement.

As for my vehicle collection I'm getting cheaper with age the idea of retiring early as possible and doing stuff I enjoy doing out weighs my interest in owning the latest must have vehicle.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
Plug in cars I guess I don't have too much of a gripe about at this point. I think the Chevrolet Volt is a pretty sweet car.

My initial dislike was because of the original hybrids like the Prius. And the whole hypocrisy of it all. "I'm saving the environment". I could drive my Subaru all day every day for the rest of eternity and not cause as much damage to the environment as your Prius did being built.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Save your time, the answer seems to be posted on the following link. Sorry, no Subaru's on the list. :(

Eligible Vehicles - Single Occupant Carpool Lane Use Stickers
My bet is this isn't indicative of what the new law reflects, and that there may be other categories added.

Not being delusional, I fully expect to get denied one way (by not actually qualifying) or another (by actually qualifying, but having the DMV not realize it yet).

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Ooops, my bad. I accept complete responsibility for misidentification of Justin's car.
No plans to consider either the Fisker or Tesla..even if I had the money.
The Volt would be the only plug in car I might consider at the moment..too much range anxiety and stress driving a full electric.
Wait a few years and more technology will evolve.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The teslas are pretty nice, but I just can't get myself to pay $50K+ for a car I can only use in the city. The Volt solves range anxiety, but it's not an impressive car for $40K.

If I wanted to do the most for the environment, I'd just continue to drive my same cars and avoid using resources to add another vehicle to the mix. That's probably true even with tech improvements unless they make a Mr Fusion. If I do get another car, I'd probably look for a diesel since they're both cheaper and have better MPG than a lot of the hybrids, but I don't think Ms Medic would get the idea she can't go to any corner station and fill up any more.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
The teslas are pretty nice, but I just can't get myself to pay $50K+ for a car I can only use in the city. The Volt solves range anxiety, but it's not an impressive car for $40K.

If I wanted to do the most for the environment, I'd just continue to drive my same cars and avoid using resources to add another vehicle to the mix. That's probably true even with tech improvements unless they make a Mr Fusion. If I do get another car, I'd probably look for a diesel since they're both cheaper and have better MPG than a lot of the hybrids, but I don't think Ms Medic would get the idea she can't go to any corner station and fill up any more.
The 4dr Tesla competes with the larger BMW and Mercedes. Very FEW of the people who own these vehicles ever do road trips. Given they simply fly. Translated to real numbers all of these high end larger sedans more or less spend 90% or less of their life doing local trips which case 200-300 mile range of the Tesla is not an issue for the target consumers.

For that matter the folks around me with the Leaf and Tesla's commute more or less into the city from outside every day the Leaf drivers are pushing 50 mile round trip commutes with very little worry about range issues.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts