Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XL Limited
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tinkered with this a bit and can't get a good result. I cannot seem to get the call volume up high enough. Tried in the phone settings both car and phone and just doesn't seem to be very loud.

Iphone 11pro using cable and apple car play. Bluetooth isn't much better, but perhaps a tiny bit. Is this just me or anyone else notice or fix?

·
Registered
2020 XL Limited
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did that to max and its still low. I can disconnect the phone and the volume is fine. Seems like something isn't set correctly..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone had any luck with this? I have a 2020 Outback, an iPhone X - cannot adjust the volume of the phone at all - tried everything!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
377 Posts
Did you go into the head unit settings and check the various volume options there? I'm not familiar with the MY20 Outback system, but on my Ascent there are several different volume settings including one for phone. Adjusting the vehicle volume while "on a call" is the fastest way to change it, however...and that's consistent with many other vehicles I've driven.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
665 Posts
Yes, I agree with Jim_in_PA, above. While on a call, adjust the volume of the car's audio, either using the knob on the center console, or the volume button on the steering wheel. But it has to be while a call is in progress. There is also a settings screen someplace that lets you set numeric volume settings for the phone, but I forget what settings heading its under.....

I notice that when I am using the car's nav system, with the radio playing, that the volume button on the steering wheel adjusts the nav system's voice if you adjust it while the nav system is speaking, but at other times it (as expected) adjusts the radio volume. The little symbol shown in the little display between the tach and speedo shows musical notes if the volume you are adjusting is the radio, and some other symbol if it is the nav voice's volume.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,478 Posts
Yes, I agree with Jim_in_PA, above. While on a call, adjust the volume of the car's audio, either using the knob on the center console, or the volume button on the steering wheel. But it has to be while a call is in progress. There is also a settings screen someplace that lets you set numeric volume settings for the phone, but I forget what settings heading its under.....

I notice that when I am using the car's nav system, with the radio playing, that the volume button on the steering wheel adjusts the nav system's voice if you adjust it while the nav system is speaking, but at other times it (as expected) adjusts the radio volume. The little symbol shown in the little display between the tach and speedo shows musical notes if the volume you are adjusting is the radio, and some other symbol if it is the nav voice's volume.
Just like in phones, the volume control is context sensitive. So depending on which sound is playing, the volume control works for that particular function's sound level. This way, I can keep my music quieter than my navigation volume and not miss any instructions. You will find this also works for Android Auto volume levels.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I understand what you’re saying, the car phone volume is extremely low. The car volume can be all the way up to 38 and the volume level on my phone can be all the way up as well and it is still a little hard to hear somebody talking.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
212 Posts
I understand what you’re saying, the car phone volume is extremely low. The car volume can be all the way up to 38 and the volume level on my phone can be all the way up as well and it is still a little hard to hear somebody talking.
Ours is that way too, seems to be hit and miss cuz sometimes it's great and others it's not. We just go through all the different audio settings in the head unit and turn things up, as well as the volume on our iPhone. Sometimes it's just a matter of waiting til next time we start the car and then it's louder, no real explanation for the inconsistency.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've tried everything - when people call me, sometimes it is louder, sometimes not. When I call, it is always low - I think it must be a glitch in the system design. I've tried adjusting the sound in the head system, tried adjusting with the volume control on the steering wheel, tried turning the knob - nothing works... other than that, I love the car. Maybe Subaru will come up with a solution...hopefully! I've sent an e-mail to Subaru support, if they answer, I will let everyone know! Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited 2.5 Hi-Yo, Ice Silver! Away!
171 Posts
I know the original poster said they adjusted the phone settings. But just to be sure, when I restart my phone, (samsung note 8) it often drops the volume on my bluetooth to safe hearing levels. When i raise it, I have to press OK to raising the volume levels and then it will be fine pairing and unpairing unless I restart my phone again.

Just making sure that the volume on the phone is turned up. Honestly I'm not sure if it would affect in call volume but who knows.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will give that a try - it is definitely annoying not to be able to hear!!! All the technology in the car and then this - LOL! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2020 XL Limited
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know tech and apple products pretty well. This is another odd issue in the infotainment system. Any combo of phone volume, system volume, restarts, re-paring, etc don't help. There is something preventing the volume from getting louder for calls.

·
Registered
2020 Outback touring
51 Posts
Same here !

tried everything, all volumes, all buttons,all settings during calls, and randomly (most of the time ) can’t hear anything!!

Luc
Mtl, Canada

·
Registered
2020 Outback
145 Posts
I’m having occasional issues with iPhone integration, and I’m also a longtime Apple guy, having owned a business involved in digital imaging. Sometimes CarPlay doesn’t want to recognize my phone, sometimes volume issues, sometimes voice recognition, etc. But when I check my phone, it works fine. And it integrates with our other car seamlessly. I do think this is a Subaru issue that needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m having occasional issues with iPhone integration, and I’m also a longtime Apple guy, having owned a business involved in digital imaging. Sometimes CarPlay doesn’t want to recognize my phone, sometimes volume issues, sometimes voice recognition, etc. But when I check my phone, it works fine. And it integrates with our other car seamlessly. I do think this is a Subaru issue that needs to be addressed.
OK - Subaru got back to me this morning - they said to take the steps I had already taken with no effect - changing settings and using the steering wheel up/down switch to increase or decrease the volume. And...I had told them that neither of those methods worked in my original e-mail to them...I responded AGAIN, saying this was a glitch in their system, and it needs to be fixed...if I get another e-mail from them saying to adjust the same stuff, I will take it to next level...ugh...

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK - Subaru got back to me this morning - they said to take the steps I had already taken with no effect - changing settings and using the steering wheel up/down switch to increase or decrease the volume. And...I had told them that neither of those methods worked in my original e-mail to them...I responded AGAIN, saying this was a glitch in their system, and it needs to be fixed...if I get another e-mail from them saying to adjust the same stuff, I will take it to next level...ugh...
I received another response directly from Subaru - here is their response "We do not have anything documented yet relating to this concern. We would recommend that you have the concern inspected further by your Subaru retailer's service department so that they can reach out to our Technical Services department to document the issue." I am going to make an appointment with the service department where I purchased my Outback, I will let you know what they say....

·
Registered
2020 Outback
145 Posts
I received another response directly from Subaru - here is their response "We do not have anything documented yet relating to this concern. We would recommend that you have the concern inspected further by your Subaru retailer's service department so that they can reach out to our Technical Services department to document the issue." I am going to make an appointment with the service department where I purchased my Outback, I will let you know what they say....
That’s what I did, and will do again the next time I have an issue. Go luck, I hope you get results. It’s a good thing I really like this car otherwise!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts