Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2005 Bean 3.0 outback in for oil change. I've had an oil leak show up a couple weeks ago. I mentioned this to mechanic. He called me later and said it's a cam seal leak. Said the engine has to be pulled to replace and will cost $2500 . The car has 148k miles and I planned to pass it on to my teen in a year or so.

Is this a reasonable estimate? i didn't think the engine had to be pulled.
Where would I see oil leak if it is a bad cam seal? Any suggestions will be helpful

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
is this a half moon seal on the back of the valve cover???? confusing or non-specific diagnosis

the car certainly is at an age where valve cover and spark plug tube gaskets could need changing. There are 3-4 other potential areas for oil leaks too.

you might consider a second opinion.

if you post your city in a new thread asking for a shop recommendation, someone might know of a soob-experienced mech. near you.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts

cam seals????
Ok, I missed that. But the 3.0 does still have cam seals, they are just pressed into the back portion of the aluminum timing cover/head. You can see them here...I know that's 4-banger...But sometimes the interweb doesn't get you what you want.

The motor still doesn't have to come out for those.

Attachments

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
oh yeah, metal cup-type things. I think I read a post where someone had trouble getting them off.

are they in there with sealant like 3 Bond or is there an o-ring or ???

also, maybe the OP needs a PCV valve/hose service too.

certainly doesn't seem like the engine 'must' come out for those - I think he needs an indie soob mech.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2011 WRX, 2015 Legacy 3.6r loaded and a 2016 Camaro 2SS.
124 Posts
Took my 2005 Bean 3.0 outback in for oil change. I've had an oil leak show up a couple weeks ago. I mentioned this to mechanic. He called me later and said it's a cam seal leak. Said the engine has to be pulled to replace and will cost $2500 . The car has 148k miles and I planned to pass it on to my teen in a year or so.

Is this a reasonable estimate? i didn't think the engine had to be pulled.
Where would I see oil leak if it is a bad cam seal? Any suggestions will be helpful
Its a 13 Y/O car! Things are gonna break and wear out. I would not spend 2500 on a 13yo car thats barely worth more than the fix.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
I'd ask for an explanation or to be shown exactly where it's leaking (or you can look yourself).

The 3.0L doesn't have "cam seals" per se. The front of the cam shafts are housed behind the timing chain cover. If the cover itself is leaking, that IS a major PITA (and more easily done with the engine removed), but it's fairly rare. The rear of the cylinder head has the two "half moon" plugs, but engine removal is not required for those.

Your mechanic may have seen an oil leak near the oil cooler and assumed, possibly from working on 2.5L engines. 98% of the "normal" spots on a 2.5 do not apply to the 3.0L.

Get another opinion or do some of your own monitoring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts