Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 2005 Outback XT 5MT in for the 105K.

I requested the tensioner, and all the idler pulleys be replaced while they were in there replacing the timing belt. Did the water pump too.

They had planned to replace 4x cam seals too, but found that the little plastic (?) "thing" around a bolt for the cam had previously been severely mangled and said the existing cam seals looked fine anyway.

They discouraged me from having them tear into it.

Should I be concerned? My intent was to a "do it right" 105K service, as opposed to simply replacing the timing belt that the dealer quoted me.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,386 Posts
They aren't steering you entirely wrong. The newer seal materials are robust and capable of high miles with few issues, particularly something as new and consistently used/maintained as yours - it hasn't sat and degraded the rubber compounds (hopefully).

That being said they can leak, it's low percentage though. So it's a very low risk. You're both right (or wrong depending if your a glass half empty/full type LOL)...You aren't likely to have a problem, but would have been wise to get a new seal in there while it was easy and nearly guarantee another 105,000 miles for a $5 seal.

*** The more important question is what is this "thing" that's mangled and why couldn't they deal with it? Timing covers break, degrade, etc...but it's always resolvable, the only complicate stuff is the belt gear which they already had off - after that it's just a sprocket and timing covers, not a big deal?

My guess is they were slightly more concerned (and rightly so, i totally get it) to just get it done and not mess around with more parts, asking you what to do, so they just made a decision and rolled and that was the easiest one - roll it out, make room.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plastic "thing" kind of looks like a sprocket.

I think you're supposed to hold it with a special Subaru tool that kind of looks like a giant spark-plug wrench.

There is a bolt head in the middle of the "sprocket", and you use the special tool to keep the "sprocket" from turning when you break the bolt loose.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
*** The more important question is what is this "thing" that's mangled and why couldn't they deal with it? Timing covers break, degrade, etc...but it's always resolvable, the only complicate stuff is the belt gear which they already had off - after that it's just a sprocket and timing covers, not a big deal?
It's in the paperwork as "cam pulley". It looks like a great big nut (2", 3"? metric equivalent) that's integral to the "cam pulley". You're supposed to hold it with a very large special wrench while you loosen the bolt in the center. That big nut looked to me like it was made of plastic, and it's stripped pretty badly.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
276 Posts
Do you know why it would be stripped? What work has previously been done to the car?
I'm inclined to think that they stripped it, but I'm not a very trusting person.:29:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you know why it would be stripped? What work has previously been done to the car?
I'm inclined to think that they stripped it, but I'm not a very trusting person.:29:
No, I don't know why someone would have been in there previously.

I asked the mechanic that specifically -- under what scenario would someone have already been in there.

His first suggestion was maybe someone tried to do the 105K previously, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

Then he suggested maybe someone repaired a head gasket. It's my understanding that the XT's don't have the typical head-gasket issues that the NA 4's do.

He showed me several cell-phone pics.

They seem like a pretty good small shop. They have one guy who works on Subaru's.

I'm kind of with you though -- it's not outside the realm of possibility that they messed it up.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,069 Posts
Ouch, that is ugly.
Lucky it didn't grenade on you while driving.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wait, is that a pic from your car? That broken sprocket can't be good!
:D - no, it's not. I didn't get his cell-phone pics.

I pulled that off another forum. I figured the picture would better describe the shape / part I was trying to explain.
--

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,069 Posts
Ah, good then.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,100 Posts
One, I am inclined to believe that the tech "stripped" the pulley due to lack of having the tool and trying to use something else.

Two, why didn't they call you at the time they discovered the issue?

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
The picture was from someone over on legacygt.com that used the vicegrip trick to keep the dual cams from moving on the driver's side, but applied too much pressure with the vice grips. It really doesn't take much to hold them.

I agree, seems strange that the inner 'sprocket' that the tool does on was stripped, but I doubt it was the shop that did it. They seem pretty straight shooters from the way you are telling it. Maybe a blown turbo in the motors past and they had to replace the short block and mangled the pulley then?

Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts