Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback LLBean 3.0R
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Outback 3.0L H6 DOHC, 139K miles, never given me any trouble to really speak of. Great car! This changed recently. I had been getting the Check Engine light intermittently for some time but the car runs fine (No skipping, rough idle, gas mileage dip, etc.). The other day starting it up to come home from work, it ran really rough at idle and no power and skipping when I pushed the gas pedal (and the Check Engine light was on). I turned it off and let it sit for about 15 minutes or so while I called the dealer. Long story short, I restarted the car, the Check Engine light is off and it is running fine. I decided to limp home at 45 miles per hour and have it looked at the next day.

So, I took it to the dealer for service. They pulled the codes and found that there were numerous misfire codes as well as a Cam sensor code. That was replaced ($350 parts and labor) and the codes cleared. Car is running fine but the Check Engine light is back on.

Instead of being $300-500 to death by the dealer, I thought I would reach out to good folks on this forum for any ideas that you may have or have experienced. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P0102 Mass Air Flow Sensor Circuit Low Input
P0021 Camshaft Position 'A' Timing Over Advance or Performance Bank 2
P0113 Intake Air Temperature sensor circuit high input

Doing research and looking back on what I had previously posted on this forum, I had the P0021 before and the dealership said that it was a low oil level (?). Never figured out what that could be and the car does not burn oil or have any leaks. The cam sensor was changed last week. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Car is running fine now but not happy...:(

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,312 Posts
The intake air temperature sensor is part of the mass air flow meter. So, same part. Check that it is plugged in tight, no water intrusion, no grease on the plug or sensor's plug mating receptacle.

Yes, low oil level will interrupt cam advancement and throw off the "timing" between the crank and cam causing the P0021. The cam actuator relies on oil flow and pressure to advance the camshaft when cruising. Low oil=low flow=improper cam advancement. When the computer expects the cam to be advanced and the sensor is giving an opposing reading, the 21 pops up. See attached.

Apparently, you should maybe avoid the dealer you went to, or/and if your invoice shows that the P0021 was on when you visited, get your money back or free diag and repair for what they do find with a difference refunded to you if it ends up being low oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cardoc,

Excellent information! I forgot to mention that they changed the oil at the same time that the cam sensor was changed. So, I wouldn't think that a low oil level would be a problem. Any other ideas?

BTW, the Air Intake codes were my fault. I was changing the headlight bulb out with the car running. You have to remove the air filter cover to access the passenger side bulb in my car. So, after I checked that the light was working, I reconnected everything...with the car still running. The engine chugged for a few and then idled out. I assume that is where those codes came from. The P0021 code was there before I did the work on my head light...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found a great article on how this whole process works. Apologies if this has been posted here before but I thought it pertinent to this thread...

What’s Inside: Active Valve Control System

I am starting to be concerned about a head gasket leak from reading the HG Leak threads. Any thoughts on this possibly being a cause?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts