Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't want to spend a ton. Really just looking for what others might have, what they like, don't like.
I currently have an OLD pop-up, looking to upgrade.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Are you thinking Grizzly country will be in the trip plans?

That would be my own stumbling point if I were replacing my Lifetime Tent Trailer. 2 yrs ago I did 6 days in Yellowstone and I was very limited where I could camp due to the tent aspect. Which case

Something like the Hiker, Moth or MaxFlier giving me Hard side Grizzly camping ability plus outa sight outa mind secure storage for gear, bikes, boats etc.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,075 Posts
Have a 2016 2.5. Looking for recommendations on a camper to tow, either a pop-up or trailer camper.
were you asking about on -road trailers

as we have a towing section where these are discussed at length. (lots of threads like this there, ...some with pics)

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/130-towing/

or specifically for off-roaders with beefier tires / suspension. (as you posted in the "off road" section)

I can move the thread if need be.

·
Registered
2019 premium outback 2009 matia mx5
87 Posts
Look at the scamp fiber glass camper. The 13 footer weigh around 1200 1500 pounds. Ten month led time
from the factory. They hold there value and hard to find a used one. Make sure there are no soft spots in the floor in the bath and kitchen area. The tab 320 is another light weigh travel trailer. In fact I am heading to Virginia to pick up a 13 foot scamp with front bath. Took me two months to find a used one.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5i Premium Abyss Blue Pearl 11-1-18 Previous: 1986 GL-10 Legacy Wagon 150,000 miles, 2002 Legacy Outback Limited 260,000 miles
80 Posts
https://youtu.be/AMN8ThPS1wA
Love these but a little out of my price range. Ended up with a CVT roof top tent and I am definitely not disappointed! Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited with Eyesight. Currently totally stock
54 Posts
Reactions: 1werd

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,075 Posts
Yes, on-road use.
Thanks
moved to the typical towing section then.

lots of good threads about what is light in weight and light on tongue.

if you need a bigger / heavier trailer then a outback can pull, you need a Ascent. (trim over base,...all come with 2.4 turbo, base trim is weak though)

or something like a Tahoe. ....or a motel

but 2.5 can tow light, 3.6 or the new 2020 2.4 turbo would be better though.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Pearl Outback 3.6R Premier
182 Posts
We really enjoy our Aliner for the two of us. Full queen size bed, A/C, furnace, stove, 3 way fridge, water heater, microwave. Loaded weight is under 2000lb and tongue weight under 200lb. Very easy to pull and easy to stop with electric brakes. Sets up in literally 30 seconds. Our last trip we averaged 10.7l/100km (22 mpg).

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
We really enjoy our Aliner for the two of us. Full queen size bed, A/C, furnace, stove, 3 way fridge, water heater, microwave. Loaded weight is under 2000lb and tongue weight under 200lb. Very easy to pull and easy to stop with electric brakes. Sets up in literally 30 seconds. Our last trip we averaged 10.7l/100km (22 mpg).
Missed the set up picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
'12 2.5i Premium
7 Posts
Check out the nuCamp Tab. Excellent quality and light weight. The Tab was beyond our budget so we ended up with a Forrest River R-Pod 152, but it's a bit heavy to tow with the OB very frequently.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Looks way more useful than the trendy and extremely expensive for what they are teardrop campers.
We were considering a teardrop when we started looking, but then found the Aliner. We really like it. Did a 9,000mi trip last summer through many of the US National Parks. The Outback and trailer did great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts