Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lots of threads that had various cool ideas and products mentioned for camping and travel I thought we should probably have a thread on this exact thing!

Like most people I grew up camping however unlike most people most of that camping was done with a large heavy back pack strapped to my back. My parents took both I and my Brother back country packing every summer for a week to two weeks.
As a family we did car camping usually a short weekend or two a year sometimes more pending who and what was going on etc.

Given the back packing you carry everything you bring! We were pretty creative in what we packed - and what products caught our attention. I never knew as a kid that my interest in keeping things light and bringing things that offered the most flexibility in what it could be used for would be so important to having a super fun Subaru hauled camping experience as an adult.

Lets face it we have fun and pretty cool cars that are not huge SUV's or over the top haul the house anywhere vehicles so we need to be smart about what makes up our camping and road trip gear and how we pack it in the car.

As an Adult I spent many years supporting my now Wife as she did Triatholons. The amount of support gear - and extra crap these athletes pack then add that many of these events are camping events so you have camping gear on top of all the extra sports crap and support gear and spare parts and shoes - etc I soon found my self tapping my old back packing and car camping tricks to get the wife - me and the dog to her events with all the must have crap that makes the event experience enjoyable. 2001 Legacy GT sedan was our SUV err - truck - er car.

So lets hear it people share the various equipment you have collected over the years and have really enjoyed and used. Share packing tips for the car! Lets face it the more crap we can pack in the car comfortably the more people - or junk we can take with us ;-)

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
#1 The Thule Roof box was like getting a whole new car when it came to what camping gear and Triatholon gear we could take.
#2 Tip you can lash folding camp chairs across the roof rack bars between the bikes!
#3 Tip you can lash front tires on the bikes to the bike frames resting them on the pedals

#4 Tip - medium sized duffel bags fit perfectly behind the front seats in the foot wells for the back seat- (keeps dog happy given he doesn't fall into the hole behind the front seats) - The old Coleman metal ice chest actually fits in the legacy trunk and has a drain so at pit stops on the road you can simply hang the ice chest out the trunk a tad and drain off the ice melt. (we do this same trick with the new OB by the way)

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Our RV choice! Months of research
1200lbs or less!
#1 Jumping Jack 6x8 tent trailer built for ATV guys exceptional quality and strong! (Holds its value by the way!)
#2 QuickSilver tent trailer bigger bit more plush costs more
#3 The FIND!!! Costco selling the smaller version of the Jumping Jack trailer called the Life Time Tent trailer 4x6 - 980lbs two queen beds exceptional quality and $2000!!! Yes please! (They changed the design to two single sized beds and raised the price just recently BTW "2012" major downer!!)

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our Favorite camp stuff
#1 French coffee press!
#2 Coleman two burner gas stove
#3 One blue step2 wagon (we have kids and the wagon provides hours on end of entertainment)
#4 Bikes!!! Especially in places like Yosemite its the only way to travel as a family in some of these places.

Being researched and added to the kit
#1 Stand alone shower - think sun shower type water bag - PVC pipe teepee with tarp and a kiddie pool base (for those great camping places with nothing but a pit toilet, Wife says shower solution is a must)

#2 Canoe yes we are looking to add a canoe to the kit. We also have a 12ft long 130lb Jr's racing sailboat which gets racked ontop of the tent trailer when we go to lakes. The Canoe may go also or one or the other boats stays home etc.

YES all of it fits on the 2.5 OB! And fairly well too! but only if the trailer is hooked to the car.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
214 Posts
A Zodi portable shower that runs off propane that put in pop up Ozark Trail pop up.---nothing like a hot shower while camping!! My Coleman Versa Trailer comes in handy for gear, firewood, and other camping gear. A blow up boat with an electric motor is fun for cruises around the mountain lakes. We only only camp near water and at high elevations for the most part. Several battery powered lanterns and lots of camping gear. The 12x12 Coleman pop up shelter, Coleman Roadtrip Grill, 2 room Columbia tent, Coleman coffee maker, Coleman battery powered blender, bunk bed cots, battery powered fan. Also have a a large cargo carrier that I havent installed yet---had it on my Navigator before.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A Zodi portable shower that runs off propane that put in pop up Ozark Trail pop up.---nothing like a hot shower while camping!! My Coleman Versa Trailer comes in handy for gear, firewood, and other camping gear. A blow up boat with an electric motor is fun for cruises around the mountain lakes. We only only camp near water and at high elevations for the most part. Several battery powered lanterns and lots of camping gear. The 12x12 Coleman pop up shelter, Coleman Roadtrip Grill, 2 room Columbia tent, Coleman coffee maker, Coleman battery powered blender, bunk bed cots, battery powered fan. Also have a a large cargo carrier that I havent installed yet---had it on my Navigator before.
What brand cots? I have been trying to keeb an eye out for a cot or two for grand parents

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
214 Posts
What brand cots? I have been trying to keeb an eye out for a cot or two for grand parents

Disco Bed "Cam O" Cot--you can bunk them or make as 2 seperate cots. I think I got them on special at Cableas last year for $229.00. They are good cots.

I also have a Teton Sports XXL Outfitter Cot---I usually sleep on that one because I like lots of room when I sleep.

Amazon.com: TETON Sports Outfitter XXL Cot (85"x 40"): Sports & Outdoors

Also have Teton cot pads for the Disco Bed and Teton cot--XXL and XL sizes.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/TETON-Sports-Outfitter-XXL-Camp/dp/B000P6DJ8O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344092449&sr=8-1&keywords=cot+pads[/ame]

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
1984 Scamp 13. We bought it a few years ago for about $3500. It weighs 1,200 pounds dry (yes, I had it weighed). Once packed up, it's more like 1,400 to 1,500 pounds. Tows easily behind the Outback. We used to tow it with a 1.8 liter Scion xD!

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Disco Bed "Cam O" Cot--you can bunk them or make as 2 seperate cots. I think I got them on special at Cableas last year for $229.00. They are good cots.

Disc-O-Bed Cam-O-Bunk Sleeping System - YouTube

I also have a Teton Sports XXL Outfitter Cot---I usually sleep on that one because I like lots of room when I sleep.

Amazon.com: TETON Sports Outfitter XXL Cot (85"x 40"): Sports & Outdoors

Also have Teton cot pads for the Disco Bed and Teton cot--XXL and XL sizes.
TETON Sports Outfitter XXL Camp Cot Pad (84"x 38"x 3", 9 lbs): Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors
Wow that is a cool cot bunk system! I have never seen anything like that. I'll go do some checking Thanks!

I'm thinking cot bunks in the tent trailer for the kids which creates a whole different possibility for bunking options in the trailer. The bunks could get set up on the tent trailer bed queen size and if there is enough head room at the outer side of the bed ie window side then potentially a person could crash out on the tent trailer bed on the inner side. The other option would just to have the bunks on the trailer floor leaving the full queen size bed open for a grand parent.

Found the measurements!
Silver, powder coated, anti rust steel frame
Outer dimensions: 81.75” (208cm) L x 32.25” (82cm) W x 36.5” (92.5cm) H
Sleep area: 79” (201cm) L x 27.75” (70.5cm) W
Height of bottom cot: 11.25” (28.5cm)
Height of top cot: 32” (81.5cm)
Pack dimensions: 32.25” (82cm) L x 16.25” (41cm) W x 10.25” (26cm) H
Weight of bunk: 63.5lbs (29kg)
Shipping weight (in box): 68lbs (31kg)
Weight tolerance: 350lbs (159kg) – per single cot
Shipping weight (in box): 67lbs (30.5kg) Weight tolerance: 350 lbs (159kg)– per single cot

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
This is my RV set up. It's a 1987 Starcraft popup designed for an 8' Ford ranger. When I got it, it was falling apart from wood rot. I tore the skin off, rebuilt the wood frame and re-skinned it. While it was apart, I modernized the interior, rewired it, re-plumbed it and installed a catalytic heater that does not require 12v to operate..
It now has a Potra-Potti and a shower of sorts. The shower is a plastic curtain that hangs from the ceiling. You stand in a bucket while you pour warm water over yourself. Cozy, basic and cheap.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
Our Favorite camp stuff
#1 French coffee press!
#2 Coleman two burner gas stove
#3 One blue step2 wagon (we have kids and the wagon provides hours on end of entertainment)
#4 Bikes!!! Especially in places like Yosemite its the only way to travel as a family in some of these places.

Being researched and added to the kit
#1 Stand alone shower - think sun shower type water bag - PVC pipe teepee with tarp and a kiddie pool base (for those great camping places with nothing but a pit toilet, Wife says shower solution is a must)

#2 Canoe yes we are looking to add a canoe to the kit. We also have a 12ft long 130lb Jr's racing sailboat which gets racked ontop of the tent trailer when we go to lakes. The Canoe may go also or one or the other boats stays home etc.

YES all of it fits on the 2.5 OB! And fairly well too! but only if the trailer is hooked to the car.
The french p[ress is my favorite piece of camping gear. I have the "Young's Press" by Bodum which has a plastic impact resistant jacket around it! I have a red one and red is always nice!
Amazon.com: Bodum Young Press 34-Ounce Coffee Press, Black with Red Trim: Kitchen & Dining

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
This is a great thread! How can you get it so it posts on the forum home page? I had to search it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts