Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i recently decided it would be a good idea to buy a subaru with a blown headgasket. Taking it apart was relatively easy, but the difficult part was when i sent the heads to the shop and they gave it back to me in pieces. I put the head together best i could and began the reassembly, but now the driver side doesnt seem to be correctly aligned. When i turn the camshaft sprocket it turnes past where top dead center used to be. Can TDC change? do i just need to find where the new one is? or do i need to take the heads off and reassemble it?

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,803 Posts
I'm not sure what you are stating. With two rotations of the crankshaft (720 deg), the camshafts undergo a full single rotation (360 deg) and should be exactly in the same position as when you started - whether they are off a tooth or two or not, they should still repeat this same position. This has to do with the tooth count on the crank pulleys and the cam pulley, not the way you assemble or align things.

TDC refers to the piston position, not the cam position, BTW.

Posting pictures here might help us.

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,448 Posts
I am wondering if the problem is that the camshaft will not stay aligned at the correct mark (and keeps moving).

If this is the case, this is normal for one of the camshafts as the camshaft has the valves lifted on one of the cylinders and wants to “spring back” to an unloaded position.

Once you get the timing belt on the crankshaft pulley and other camshaft you should then be able to hold the second camshaft in the correct position with the timing belt. Use a strong clip on each camshaft sprocket to hold the timing belt in place so it cannot slip.

Seagrass

1 - 3 of 3 Posts