Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, 2000 Subaru outback 2.5 SOHC Did a timing belt change with all idler pulleys and waterpump including drive shaft and both camshaft seals replaced.
Now I am selling like an oil burning while driving. I do see a slight bit of oil the timing belt cover on the right camshaft side. I am perplexed. I pressed the new seals on using socket tools. The only thing I can think of is either the seal is bad or maybe I pressed it on to far. It seemed to bottom out, like i put in all the way in it could go. Not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing. Either way, I do have what seems to be a slight oil leak on that side. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Gary

·
Premium Member
11,874 Posts
Gary,

If you used an aftermarket seal, it is highly likely the seal is bad due to improper fitment caused by poor manufacture. Could also be a ripple in the seal from installation. I have found the Cam and Crank seals from Subaru are your best bet.

The seal's outer edge should be flush with the cylinder head, not recessed.

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
cardoc, on seal replacement like this, do you ever clean-up the shaft with anything? emery cloth or scotchbright etc.? Are they usually smooth enough to just reassemble and go?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
cardoc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing