Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still learning the Outback, dropped my wife at work today, stopped at her workplace front door, put the car in park - but could not open the rear gate with dash switch, key fob or gate switch. Huh?

It appears from the manual that’s how it’s setup to work, to keep exhaust out of the car, but that seems like overkill to me. Is there any way around it? Fine if I’m parking anyway, but dropping someone off I have to actually turn the car completely off for a quick ‘touch and go?’

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,239 Posts
It is the way it is!

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6 Limited
110 Posts
Try pushing the door unlock button to ensure the gate is not locked.
I open mine regularly with the car still running.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
Yep, it has to be in park, and all doors have to be unlocked. But the engine can remain running.

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray Outback 3.6R with EyeSight
176 Posts
Still learning the Outback, dropped my wife at work today, stopped at her workplace front door, put the car in park - but could not open the rear gate with dash switch, key fob or gate switch. Huh?

It appears from the manual that’s how it’s setup to work, to keep exhaust out of the car, but that seems like overkill to me. Is there any way around it? Fine if I’m parking anyway, but dropping someone off I have to actually turn the car completely off for a quick ‘touch and go?’
This doesn't seem right. I have '15, and can open the hatch when the car is running at least using the dash or the hatch button. I can't remember if the fob would work (I was disappointed when I found out that the fob would not lock/unlock doors with the car running). To use either method, all the doors need to be unlocked and at least in the case of the dash button, it needs to be pressed and held for a few seconds. As for the hatch button, make sure you are pressing the correct one - there are two buttons, one to open/close hatch (located in the middle), and another to lock all doors (located a bit to the right).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tdot1976 said:
Try pushing the door unlock button to ensure the gate is not locked.
I open mine regularly with the car still running.
atc98092 said:
Yep, it has to be in park, and all doors have to be unlocked. But the engine can remain running.
That's the trick that it took me a while to learn -- unlock all the doors.
Thank you very much! Didn’t know or try that, now I know the trick.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i with eyesight & nav.
63 Posts
there are settings that you can change about how doors lock/unlock, when it beeps, approach lights etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there are settings that you can change about how doors lock/unlock, when it beeps, approach lights etc.
Unlocking ALL the doors as others above suggested worked, I tried it since I last posted. Thanks again all.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 3.6R
75 Posts
So glad to have found this thread!! Just got a new to me 2016 outback and was trying to figure out the same thing.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
350 Posts
I do a Meals on Wheels route every week and I usually leave the car running while I hop out, get the food from the hatch, and take it up to the client's door. The first time I did my run with my new car, I stood in back trying to open the hatch, which just beeped at me and of course the button on the dash did the same thing. I finally figured out some of what was going on, but it wasn't until I did some experimenting at home that I knew what was what.

Since I have my doors set up to auto-lock when the car starts moving, but do not have them auto-unlock, the solution was to set the doors to unlock when I open the driver's door from inside. That way, the doors unlock when I get out and the tailgate works whether I've left the engine running or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts