Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
base '08 O.B.
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I’m on the tail-end of a head gasket replacement project. I think that I’ve found a place to hook-up all the electrical connectors except for one. It’s hanging down by the bottom of the radiator, on the driver side, next to the wire connector that plugs into the radiator fan. The wires to the mystery connector look they were originally folded up and secured with some blue tape. Can anyone tell me what this rusty orange connector is for? I’ve attached some pictures.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
08 Outback 2.5 , 06 Outback 2.5 , 04 Forrester with 2.0 JDM , 00 Outback 2.5 (Dead at 309k miles).
51 Posts
Looks Like A fan connector, or a fog Light like Silver stated. They way its wrapped like that leads me to Believe its for an option that you do not have. For Example, Dual Fans or Fog lamps. when your Done, if its important it will set a code.

·
Registered
base '08 O.B.
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks. The burnt orange colored connector is only on the driver's side. Then there are also the two radiator fan connectors. I had the same thought about it being for an option that I don't have. This is a 2008 Outback H-4, non-turbo, "base" trim wagon. An additional lighting option makes sense.
Also, looking at the picture, it has dust on the inside, like it hasn't been plugged in.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Premium
360 Posts
There only a few possibilities up there. If you are really curious you can us a "fox and hound" to trace it. It should trace back to the relay slot in the fuse panel if it is for lighting.

·
Registered
20,039 Posts
I wasn't aware that the 08 base Outback did not come with the fog lights. But I think it's clear from the FSM that the brown plug is for the fog light option.

Attached is the FSM section for the Front Wiring Harness. The harness contains a large number of wires, with them branching out of the main harness at various location. According to the wiring diagram (second page), the connections for the left front headlight assembly, the left side radiator fan, and the left front fog light all come out of the main harness at the same place. The three are highlighted in the wiring diagram and in the list of connectors on the first page. Also, we can see in the first photo these three branches coming out of the main harness. There's no other factory wiring coming out at that same point.

The only thing that is puzzling is . . . .
The burnt orange colored connector is only on the driver's side.
There clearly should be the same type of connector on the passenger side. It's connector F6.

Attachments

·
Registered
base '08 O.B.
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Attached is the FSM section for the Front Wiring Harness.
Plain OM, the clear Front Wiring Harness diagram explains all. I didn’t see the RH fog light connector before I put the radiator in. It was probably tucked away, out of sight.
I gave the fog light recesses, in the front bumper, a closer look. The holes are covered with opaque black plastic covers, to finish the holes for an Outback without the fog lights. (see pic)
You that are willing to share your skills and experience make this site a valuable resource, especially for newbies like me. I’m not a mechanic by trade, and I’d never touched a Subaru with a tool before this head gasket project.
I’m learning a lot, like finding things in the service manual and obtaining Subaru parts. (That’s half the battle.) I got the ‘08 running. After the Engine Control Module re-learned how to idle, the engine is missing. And showing misfire codes for cylinders #2, #3, and #4.
I suspect the inexpensive Chinese spark plug wires that I used. I ordered some OEM wires, and hope that takes care of the misfires
Thanks all of you for you input!

Attachments

·
Registered
base '08 O.B.
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As an incidental summary, I happened to find the RH fog light connector when I pulled the air intake system to get to my spark plug wires. The RH fog light connector is in the fender well hole. (see pics) The right side wire is bundled up with blue tape just like the left side.

Also, my engine finally started to run correctly after the head gasket replacement. The misfires were caused by some inexpensive spark plug wires. I replaced them with OEM plug wires (pricy buggers) and the misfiring stopped immediately. Lesson learned... The inexpensive wires are branded 'NewYall.' I bought them on Amazon. NewYall won't refund my money because it is past their 30 day warranty. But I think Amazon is going to give my money back. Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Tread Wood

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
17,097 Posts
I know you've already learned this lesson but I can't resist just saying the obvious - when it comes to critical parts of your car, do not buy no-name generic parts from Ebay, Amazon, or whatever - and even if you think you're buying genuine, it could be counterfeit if purchased from unauthorized resellers. This applies to things like spark plugs, oil filters, serpentine belts, wires, etc.

Reactions: Alex_W
1 - 12 of 12 Posts