Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Green "Rally Sport" Outback
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody! Brand-new gal here in the forum... i've had my 1997 outback sport for about a year and a half now, and absolutely luv it! Come from a definite family of subaru owners. Anywho--- here's my question... My car isn't necessarily an 'outback' sport. It's classified as a Rally Sport, and has 'Rally Sport' decaled on the rear doors instead of the normal Outback Sport. I've looked around everywhere, asked questions everywhere, and nobody has yet been able to explain to me why my car is 'rally' and not just 'outback'... can anyone give me clarification??? or am i alone in the world??? :) :confused:

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,547 Posts
RallyMeg said:
Hey Everybody! Brand-new gal here in the forum... i've had my 1997 outback sport for about a year and a half now, and absolutely luv it! Come from a definite family of subaru owners. Anywho--- here's my question... My car isn't necessarily an 'outback' sport. It's classified as a Rally Sport, and has 'Rally Sport' decaled on the rear doors instead of the normal Outback Sport. I've looked around everywhere, asked questions everywhere, and nobody has yet been able to explain to me why my car is 'rally' and not just 'outback'... can anyone give me clarification??? or am i alone in the world??? :) :confused:
Does the VIN have GF4 in it?

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
RallyMeg does your car have turbo? I found a pic claiming to be a "Subaru Rally Sport", looks like a WRX to me. http://geocities.com/treper_2000/page1 Perhaps they called the WRX that in some markets? Or perhaps it's a WRX lookalike without the turbo.. just some ideas..
Cheers,
Karl

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
Well I sure am curious what you have! A picture and VIN# would be helpful. I am not familiar with that vehicle. Unless someone did thier own sticker or something. Or maybe it was a Canadian model or something. Interesting.

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
it needs to be said:

TTIWWOP !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hvlwnc said:
it needs to be said:

TTIWWOP !

Um... okay... don't mess with the new gal here. I'm not familiar with jargon or abbreviations yet!!! I'm still a rookie! :) could you put that in laymans terms please? (or blonde terms in my case?) thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay... to answer most of your questions... (and thank you SO much for all the responses so far!!!) :) No, my car does not have turbo. it's a 2.2L 5 speed manual, and the owner's manual that comes with it is for the regular 1997 OBS models. If you have an OBS, look on the rear doors where it says, OUTBACK (in small letters) and SPORT (in bigger letters). Where yours will say OUTBACK, mine says RALLY in cursive/script lettering. (looks kinda cool if i do say so myself!) It's definitely not an aftermarket decal according to my wonderful Subie mechanics at home in New Hampshire. And the car came standard with ABS brakes.

the vin number is: JF1 GF4851 VG813906

Quite a stumper, eh? The original owners were from Vermont, so maybe this did come from Canada... Hmmmm... :confused:

no pic yet... i'll try to get one as soon as i can.

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
Layman's terms:

This Thread Is Worthless Without Pictures!

Blonde Terms:

uhm. I'll have to get a feel for your sense of humor before I even approach that one.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,547 Posts
In OZ I think the GF4 is called an RV - I wonder if your car was Canadian and they use Rally instead of Outback? just guessing.

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
I have googled high and low (because I am bored at work) and have found very little. I did find a few mentions of the Rally Sport OBS over on NASIOC. Unfortunately none if the information gave any hints to the differences between a standard OBS and the Rally Sport.

Edit: Meg- what color is the car?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's the standard Arcadia (acadia?) green with the slate bottom half. Looks like a regular OBS if you ask me

hvlwnc said:
Edit: Meg- what color is the car?

Edit: I'm really starting to wonder if it's just a Canadian model. I, too, have searched ALL over the internet, but never really considered thinking about Canada. Gonna' have to start looking there.

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
Running a carfax on it should tell you if it was originally a Canadian vehicle.

I have a new theory - there were a very limited number of Outback Sport Utility Sedans released in the New England area in 1997. Perhaps this car had something to do with that limited release? Maybe they put different stickers on some of the Outback Sports that were sold up there in conjunction with the SUS sales?? Otherwise, I am at a loss.

Oh, and greetings from another resident of the Commonwealth of Va.

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
get the vin # call a dealership they can tell you what it is .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts