Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Camellia Red Metallic, 2002 H6 Outback wagon VDC + 2001 2.5 VDC
294 Posts
Like you, I couldn’t fathom it out.. Jan 2021 bought my first dashcam (yeah, never had one before)
Don’t know if it helps your side of the pond, went with a nextbase 222 with the add on rear view, was on offer... it’s simple and doesn’t have advanced features... (to confuse me)
the brand has a sold rep in the U.K. and Europe, it’s the cheapest one they do, so far it does just what I want it to... the rear is camera is surprisingly good (despite being mounted on the side of the main camera)
I can always upgrade to a better model and use this in one of my other vehicles..
so I would suggest doing similar.. buy a respected brand, there may be cheaper out there, but try and find a deal on one...

·
Registered
MY19 Outback 3.6R Premium
45 Posts
I personally like the Blackvue range. I currently use a 650GW-2CH (nearly five years old now) but it's been since surpassed by much better models with 4K and LTE support. Always good to cover front and rear.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
157 Posts
Viofo A129 Pro Dou 4K Dash Cam. It records to mini memory cards versus paying for a subscription to a cloud service. I did a lot of research and this was clearly the best for us. In fact, my wife likes it so much that a bought another one for my car.

My wife was rear ended recently. I clipped the video and sent it to the offender's insurance company and was able to pick our favorite body shop for excellent repairs in short order.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I think Garmin is a good brand, and I am happy with my dashcam mini, especially for the low street price. I would have upgraded to another Garmin, but I wanted to record out the back window (not the interior or back seat) too, and Garmin at the time didn't have a dashcam to do that. I'd really like a 360 degree view, but AFAIK nobody makes one.

I got the mid-range Nextbase, and attached the rearview cam (they have 3 to choose from) and polarizing filter. It was the only one I found that had good specs, was a compact single unit with twi cameras, to also shoot out the back window. It is fairly easy to move between cars with a suction cup mount, and the rear camera gives a better image than I expected.

·
Registered
2018 3.6 Touring (Canadian, so Premium I guess?)
102 Posts
I have the Thinkware QA100 dual channel, had it professionally installed/hardwired, nice to not have to remember to turn it on or plug it in every time. Just about got rear ended a few weeks ago, here’s a link to the rear video, it’s 1080p, the front is 2k so should be even better.

Rear dash cam video clip

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I installed the Viofo A129 Duo about two years ago. I've linked to the thread where I wrote up an installation guide.

It's nothing fancy, but it does what I need. 1080P front and rear at 30fps and it automatically turns on and off with the ignition.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
1,251 Posts
I have Viofo A129 Pro which is 4K camera with WiFi and optional rear/inside camera and been pretty happy with.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
It’s too bad the Garmin Mini needs to get plugged in. If someone small like that could attach to the rear view mirror and run off battery power for a couple hours so I didn’t have to see the cord, that would be ideal

·
Registered
'10 3.6R Outback Limited, 2zr swapped Toyota Yaris track toy, '12 Mazda3 skyactive
666 Posts
Viofo A119 V3, if you don't need a rear cam as well. IMHO a rear cam isn't necessary if you have a front one. It will be obvious as to who hit what with a front view of the event.

The A119 V3 is one of the best value for what you get compared to many other cams. I have the V1 years ago and the V3 is just an improved version It has a capacitor instead of a battery so it can handle the heat and the cold without swelling and dying in 1-2 years

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Good point Tmontague makes get one with capacitors. Especially, if you are in a hot environment.
Also, the A119V3 is great suggestion I had that one too before upgrading to the A129A for the 4K. You can actually but the A129 as a solo forward camera only which is what I have. Got it off Amazon for about $169 the dual camera setup is $199 if I recall.

·
Registered
'10 3.6R Outback Limited, 2zr swapped Toyota Yaris track toy, '12 Mazda3 skyactive
666 Posts
Good point Tmontague makes get one with capacitors. Especially, if you are in a hot environment.
Also, the A119V3 is great suggestion I had that one too before upgrading to the A129A for the 4K. You can actually but the A129 as a solo forward camera only which is what I have. Got it off Amazon for about $169 the dual camera setup is $199 if I recall.
Also make sure you purchase an endurance micro SD card, they are well worth the extra cash and last much longer.

I would also recommend you hardwire it to your car and forgo the parking mode where it will use battery when the car is off.

They tend to lead to drained batteries even with built in voltage drop protection. If you want to hardwire it to ignition voltage only then you need to connect both the yellow and red wires to the ignition source and the black to ground.

The cam will not kick on with only red or yellow connected, it needs both.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Again, agree. I‘m doing exactly the same. Hardwire, no parking mode and Sandisk Edurance 256GB micro SD card.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Can you make the Viofo run in like 360 instead of full HD so it runs cooler and takes up less space? I don’t want cinema quality here, I just want it to record the last 30 minutes of driving on a loop in case something funky happens.

Again just want battery/cordless. I can charge the sucker up at work or home daily if needed.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Can you make the Viofo run in like 360 instead of full HD so it runs cooler and takes up less space? I don’t want cinema quality here, I just want it to record the last 30 minutes of driving on a loop in case something funky happens.

Again just want battery/cordless. I can charge the sucker up at work or home daily if needed.
You can select different definition/quality in the settings menu.
I have it set to the max definition and I run a 64GB card. This gives around 4+hours of video which is more than enough.

The cam isn't going to run cooler with a lower definition, it simply takes up less space on the card. The temp issue is when the car is parked and sitting in the sun on your windshield. This cooks the lithium batteries and they swell typically only lasting 1-2 years before you need to purchase a new cam. Capacitors handle these temps much better. Even up here in Canadaland inside car temps in mid summer reach scorching levels and will cook a battery in short order.

I'm not aware of any cam not meant to be plugged in. You can buy an external battery pack but these are very pricey and are meant to support the cam when you are parked over night. IMO the point of a dashcam is to "set and forget it" - there when you unfortunately need it but it auto turns on and off when you are driving the car.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
678 Posts
I can't help but think I would not want a dash cam with GPS that records my speed and that information is used to diminish my not-at-fault claim. "OK, not your fault, but you were going 12 mph over the limit so we're raising your insurance rate anyway" or something like that. Am I being paranoid?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
157 Posts
I can't help but think I would not want a dash cam with GPS that records my speed and that information is used to diminish my not-at-fault claim. "OK, not your fault, but you were going 12 mph over the limit so we're raising your insurance rate anyway" or something like that. Am I being paranoid?
Paranoid, quite possibly. You can choose whether or not to display your speed on your videos. Having someone trying to take a video and pulling a coordinated relationship with GPS, time, and speed seems problematic and not within the realm of the typical insurance rep/adjuster. However, having GPS made it quite easy for me and a recent adjuster to correlate the time, location, and direction of travel on my wife's recent incident. I overlayed our video on a map for the adjuster and it was see near real-time how the accident played out.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts