Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed when my gas light finally comes on, it's usually near or on the empty line. If I fill it up, it only holds around 12 gallons or so.

If my math is correct, 16.9 - 12 = 4.9 gallons of gas remaining when it's reading empty. That's almost 1/4 of a tank off. Shouldn't this be happening when there's around 2 gallons left?

Anyone else notice this? Any ideas how to fix it? I've run nearly 2 tanks with a bottle of Chevron Techron just as maintenance and no difference. It seems to help my Vue with a flaky gas gauge, so I figured I'd give it a try.

It's nice to know when the light comes on that I still have a ways to go before running out, but I'd rather the gauge be more accurate.

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
Welcome to Subaru gas gauges. Yours is behaving in a typical manner.

No way to recalibrate I'm aware of. I never get under a quarter tank if I can help it though, as it is my understanding the fuel helps keep the pump cool and running it to fumes is not ideal. Have managed to put in 15.9 gallons before though...whoops.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually get gas not long after the light comes on, so it doesn't get too low. I never noticed this with my '03 Baja...

I guess I'll have to put that up there with the speed odometer that's about 4 MPH too fast... lol

I love/have loved my Subarus, but I really have to question their logic with some of this stuff... haha

·
Registered
218 Posts
Also keep in mind that sediments at the bottom of the fuel tank are picked up by the pump (when only a few gallons are in the tank) and this accelerates wear on the electronic pump and fuel injectors (plugs up the fuel filter more quickly too).

Other issues include fuel and water separation from the alcohol-based ethanol gasoline.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
on the 95 - 98 cars i have owned, the gauge hits E, around 10 - 12 gallons used, long before the light comes on, around 14 gallons used. (90s have a 15.9 gallon tank).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
canubaru
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing