Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 na 2.5 outback with 134k miles. It’s used oil for many miles. It’s not leaking out anywhere. The amount of consumption does not seem consistent. I read on a non Subaru forum that others with this issue had stuck piston rings and and freed them up with some hard driving. They said overtime their oil use went down. I’m getting to the “I’m tired of putting money into this thing” stage. I also believe the cat is shot. It used to smell like I had an exhaust leak. But I couldn’t find it and the smell went away a long time ago. Would replacing it improve my gas mileage and performance? It does seem a little slow. And I don’t get the gas mileage as high as others report. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,237 Posts
For fear of being ridiculed I've pm'd you.

Reactions: cardoc

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,980 Posts
I've got an idea of what aestetic.rake gave you.

If the cat is clogged, it may be the reason for the oil consumption.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,666 Posts
High revving could also unstick the entire piston and connecting rod, not just the piston rings. Don't believe everything you see on the internet. Your engine has 134k on it,while no spring chicken, it could double that if it is taken proper care of.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,980 Posts
Lots of boxers out there hitting high rpms without piston damage. My VDC fuel cut is 7200 and it hits it quite easily. The problem is whether an engine is in a condition to handle it. I boosted the EZ30D when it was at 172k miles but I made sure the engine performance was ideal beforehand. That's when then fuel cut limit was changed. The car likes high revs.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
High revving could also unstick the entire piston and connecting rod, not just the piston rings. Don't believe everything you see on the internet. Your engine has 134k on it,while no spring chicken, it could double that if it is taken proper care of.
I agree. Might as well just fill the crankcase with WD40 and see what happens. :)

Reactions: johnre

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
968 Posts
Your going to laugh at me! Many years ago I had a Pontiac 350 that had been sitting for years. It ran but was obviously gunked up and had been overheated in the past. I was like what the H! I drained the oil and filled it up with diesel, cranked it at just let it idle for 15 or so minutes. Changed the oil let it idle a while,repeat, then final oil change. While it didn't really help, I probably put 10,000 miles on it after. It finally died(still ran) after I was pushing it hard on a hot day on the interstate with the AC running full blast. Overheated the p*ss out of it(**** idiot lights). Pulled over the minute it came on. It blew a head gasket. Curious me tore the engine down. That sucker was clean as a pen inside. Turned out I wasn't trying to cure stuck rings, it had a badly gaulded piston.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,237 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By Monday I will change the maf sensor (obd says it’s bad), new pcv just in case , and the mechanic will do a compression test maybe next week

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Almost forgot, I parked on an incline over night, nose up. I had someone start the car while I watched the tailpipe. No black smoke on start up. I could see the exhaust a little. I wonder if I have a rich fuel mix from the maf sensor out. Black soot on tailpipe when I wipe with paper towel. Thanks for the help and for keeping another wagon going down the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts