Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Outback Wagon 2.5 and 2005 2.5 RS Sedan, many more but not Subies..
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 OBW and also a 99 OBW that need 2.5 DOHC's in each.
i have a long block out of a 96 OBW 2.5 DOHC.
I have been told that it wont fit either one.
is this true, or is it just a little switching around?
and if it dosent fit, what year motors are a direct drop in?

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
the 96 ej25 will bolt in and run in both the 98 and the 99 obw. the 96 is a little different though. most important is that is requires premium fuel. i also hear the lash adjusters on the valves are different. but it is a replacement engine for both your cars.

i don't know how it would run on reg fuel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I thought that some of the 99s switched to the phase 2 ej25 which is a sohc. The 96 will swap inti the 98 for sure, but it is lower on HP stock and per subaru does require premium only. However I knew someone that ran it on regular for years and according to him had no problems.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not sure but its possible. The main differances between the 96 and 98 from what I have dug up so far for you is a different headgasket (which is neglible give that the new replacement headgaskets for the 97-99s are much better and the wrx head gaskets that take higher pressure can be swapped in as well) and a different compression ratio. The intake could be different for the compression ratio, I will see what else I can find.

·
Registered
1998 Outback Wagon 2.5 and 2005 2.5 RS Sedan, many more but not Subies..
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
great thank you. I have to figure out if i need to find a new long block for the 98-99 cars i have. and then either sell this motor or buy a 96 car to drop it in and sell.
if i cant get it to work in my 98 or 99

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
there ia a minor difference with the vac tubing on the 98. it has the charcoal canister in the rear of the car and the 96 has it under the hood in front of the engine next to the ABS system. it is easy to redirect the 2 vac lines back onto each other, which is all you need to do.

as stated, the 96 is slightly different from the 97 - 99, but it will bolt in and run just fine. its been done lots of times.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
same engine, everything that needs changed over is benign and easy.

if the minor differences between the 96 and the 97-98 (and some 99) EJ25D's seem like an obstacle then you're not up to swapping an engine which is a much more arduous task.

since most folks don't adjust the nearly-impossible-to-adjust valves of the later ones, the HLA 1996 version would be what i would want because they never needs the valves adjusted. EJ25's do burn exhaust valves eventually if you never adjust them...doesn't happen often but it does happen. no concern with the 96 HLA version.

if the 96 is from a manual it'll have a semi circular metal plate above the crank sprocket. you can leave it or remove it, it doesn't matter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.