Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Acura 3.2 TL
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I may be trading my 99 Lexus for a 2005 Outback LL Bean H6 this weekend. I've driven the outback once already, but the driving experience was very disappointing. Two characteristics really surprised me: 1. The entire structure quivers and drums over bumps and railroad tracks. I thought all the doors were going to fall off. Is the Outback's structure not very tight? 2. At highway speeds, it seems like the car was swaying side-to-side like there was a very strong cross wind beating against the side of the car. In fact the car just seemed load all the time.

I am having the car checked out by a certified Subaru tech before I buy but could you fine fellas help me out with the above issues please. :29:

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,432 Posts
Great engine, lousy rear suspension. We have a thread about it here, take a look. There is hope.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
Ghost walking.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Dont get why you still want to trade a Lexus for something that drives so bad. I would look for another one. Tons out there that drives pretty smooth mine included. Good luck

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,432 Posts
You might want to try a Legacy GT instead. Much of the same metal but it's a whole other animal to drive.

·
Registered
2002 Acura 3.2 TL
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lowwill, my Lexus is boring as ****, expensive to fix, and it doesn't haul bikes or dogs well at all.

·
Registered
2002 Acura 3.2 TL
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The H6 I was talking about at the beginning of this thread is sold now, but I'm still wanting to get one that is in better shape.

I also want to ask some questions to help clear up some concerns:

The interior door release levers (look like chrome) are clearly plastic and feel so flimsy that I'm afraid I'll break them. Does anyone know of an aftermarket part that is actual metal I could replace them with?

The doors seem to rattle/quiver so loadly when you close them (even gently) that it sounds as if all the internal parts are lose inside the door. I'm sure it just happens with age, but what can be done to correct this?

Like all none European cars, the door hinges do not work well at keeping the door open when the car is on a hill. Is there an aftermarket part to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance, guys.

·
Registered
05 Xt beatin' to an inch of its life
628 Posts
The doors seem to rattle/quiver so loadly when you close them (even gently) that it sounds as if all the internal parts are lose inside the door. I'm sure it just happens with age, but what can be done to correct this?

Like all none European cars, the door hinges do not work well at keeping the door open when the car is on a hill. Is there an aftermarket part to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance, guys.
Frameless windows, most likely nothing is loose. Although, spot welds can break. Sound dampeners like Dynamat will help. The sound from the speakers suffer from this type of door design. So if you end up upgrading those, you'll take care of the rattle noise at the same time with the deadener material.
Regarding the doors closing on inclines:
Don't know, i'd be interested in a remedy as well.

·
Registered
97 OBW 5MT, 01 LLBean OBW, 03 RubiconTJ 5MT, 05 330cic ZHP 6MT, 07 530XiT AT, 07 Odyssey Touring
127 Posts
The H6 I was talking about at the beginning of this thread is sold now, but I'm still wanting to get one that is in better shape.

I also want to ask some questions to help clear up some concerns:

The interior door release levers (look like chrome) are clearly plastic and feel so flimsy that I'm afraid I'll break them. Does anyone know of an aftermarket part that is actual metal I could replace them with?

Thanks in advance, guys.
The H6 is an amazing engine. The 05 were terrible examples of the 3rd Gen OB. I have first hand experience with owning an 05 and now an 09....two totally different animals. I also have an 01 H6 and it was superior in many ways (finish quality, ride quality, highway stability....etc) than my 05. The 09 is a lot more like my 01 in finish quality and feel...although the rear suspension is pretty poorly damped with factory dampeners...that really was an easy fix, though, I simply swapped the factory dampeners for 2004 spec and the rear is far better damped. Look for an 08 or 09 H6 and you'll have a true keeper. I too have bikes to carry so, the wagon is a must have for me.

Good luck...and take your time...they're hard to find and you might as well find a clean one.

-r

1 - 10 of 10 Posts