Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 legacy outback 2.5l dohc mt. I use 5w-30 conventional. So, I have an oil leak and no garage. Its January and I really dont feel like pulling the engine again when it's cold. I got a mild case of frostbite in my toes last time. Would it be alright if I switched to 10w-40 for a while until I'm able to pull the engine out comfortably again? The leak is on the back of the block. I used high-temp (red) rtv on the separator plate and wrist pin access and I know the plate is seeping. I cant get my borescope (compliments of wallyworlddotcom for $12) over to the bottom of the wristpin access to see. When I last had it out the wrist pin was leaking and I have collected random o rings while working in a b&s warehouse and had one that fit. And also used some of the high temp red rtv. Then, later I found out that particular o ring has some magical subaru properties and swells to fit the channel. Since then I've learned that I needed grey rtv (fujibond) which I actually had on hand at the time from when I did my head gaskets. Would going up an oil weight slow my oil loss??

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,954 Posts
Consider a High Mileage 5w-30 and see if that helps slow down the leak. Most HM oils are thicker but I'm not sure it would help a silicone leak.

A thin 40 might be your best interim solution and yes, you can go up a grade without fear, angst or worry. A lot of us already do.

I have 7 qts. of M1 0w-40 on the shelf for my next change.

Reactions: Kevin

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,906 Posts
The trick to going with a thicker oil is sacrificing some of the low temperature flow and protecction the 5W offers and it sounds like you are somewhere that it matters.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Consider a High Mileage 5w-30 and see if that helps slow down the leak. Most HM oils are thicker but I'm not sure it would help a silicone leak.

A thin 40 might be your best interim solution and yes, you can go up a grade without fear, angst or worry. A lot of already do.

I have 7 qts. of M1 0w-40 on the shelf for my next change.
im already on the high mileage stuff, 250000+. but thank you, should i do a 5w-40 or 10w-40?

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,954 Posts
The 40 part is all that matters. 0 or 5w. Whatever is easiest to acquire. Castrol 5w-40 at Walmart is pretty stout stuff.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,606 Posts
im already on the high mileage stuff, 250000+. but thank you, should i do a 5w-40 or 10w-40?
I think you should consider going with a 0w-40, I like what Castrol and Valvoline offer with their 0w40 oils as well as their 5w40 oils. Mobil 1 0w40 is something that I have used as well with good results.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,954 Posts
The first number (0,5, 10,15, 20) has nothing to do with thickness at operating temp. The second number of 40 is how thick it is at 100C.

Ignore the first number unless you live where it's -25F of more. It's the second number of 40 that is where you should focus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts