Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing my '10 Outback with a '13. I'd like to use the cargo nets from my '10 on the new car.

Has anyone tried to remove the cargo net hardware from a car and install it on another one? I can't tell if the grommets and sleeves recessed into the panels can be pulled out and reused. The dealer wasn't sure they could even order that hardware without the nets, which I don't need.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm replacing my '10 Outback with a '13. I'd like to use the cargo nets from my '10 on the new car.

Has anyone tried to remove the cargo net hardware from a car and install it on another one? I can't tell if the grommets and sleeves recessed into the panels can be pulled out and reused. The dealer wasn't sure they could even order that hardware without the nets, which I don't need.
The net hardware uses compression to expand the grommets securly in the panel holes, so they should be easily removed by unscrewing the 'hook' part and pulling them out. However, the mounting holes will be left exposed in the 2010 panels. The installations instruction are available at subaruonlineparts.com so you can see how they work. Just click on the word HERE. https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_108_123&products_id=1069

How many nets will you be installing? Each set comes with its own hardware. However you only need 4 total to use all four available nets. Therefore, if you buy the side nets, which come with four of the hardware, you will then have all you will require no matter how many of the four possible net combinations you use at a time.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
.......How many nets will you be installing? Each set comes with its own hardware. However you only need 4 total to use all four available nets. Therefore, if you buy the side nets, which come with four of the hardware, you will then have all you will require no matter how many of the four possible net combinations you use at a time.
Bingo!! +1

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Spend the extra fifty cents on the new car and pass on the old nets to the next owner of the 2010. That's what I am doing....

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. My '10 was declared a total loss after badly botched repairs of major crash damage. That's why I'm taking the nets. No idea what will happen to the car, and it will have a total loss title.

Good point that for the modest cost of the side nets you get all the new hardware you need. Since one of the inserts managed to slip back out of sight behind the interior panel when I tried to pull it out, that might be the best option.

Interesting, though, that when I took the nets out of the '10 as part of cleaning it out, the rear cargo area seemed far roomier and more useful. Those nets do take up a lot of room, even they aren't holding much. I might try doing without them and instead getting a collapsible cargo carrier or two.

Another advantage of this would be easier access to the very handy under-floor storage area. I rarely used that in my '10 because the cargo net hardware mounting point, as well as the nets themselves, were always in the way when trying to lift the liner and access panel. I'll have to see how going netless works before deciding on the new side nets as suggested here.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The side nets are the most useful, IMHO. The others, I reserve for those instances where I really need that application - mostly not connected.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Interesting, though, that when I took the nets out of the '10 as part of cleaning it out, the rear cargo area seemed far roomier and more useful. Those nets do take up a lot of room, even they aren't holding much. I might try doing without them and instead getting a collapsible cargo carrier or two.
Additional comments:
1- If installed, you can always remove the nets when you do not need them.

2- If you do decide to install nets, the installation instructions, including proper positioning of all four hardware, is in the instruction sheets included with the side nets (these same instructions are also available here: https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_108_123&products_id=1069
FYI - the hardware drill location 'dimples' are quite small, not much bigger than a pencil lead. However, they are obvious and once you find one you will easily find the other three.
FYI 2 - I drilled the holes as instructed, but with just my hand holding the drill bit (wear a heavy glove or use a hand chuck and it is not difficult) I did not want to chance using a power tool - did not want to accidentally drill through a body panel (Oh yes, I've manged to do dumber things :banghead:).

·
Registered
951 Posts
My guess would be is that they transfer just fine...Just pull the attachment point/mushroom thingys out of the old car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have all 4 nets as well. Agree that the side nets are the most useful as I use those constantly. I keep the net closest to the seat connected but rarely use it as it tends to spill out its contents in any case. The front net (from the back!) I leave connected on one side only so that it can be easily hooked and used when necessary -- and not impact access to the storage below.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
Freedom1789
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing