Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking for a new short block to replace our Outback EJ 25 automatic tranny and found a Forester 2000 L with a manual tranny. Is the Forester EJ 25 engine swapable with the Outback?

Thanks for any advice out there.

A little backstory. My 15 year-old daughter and I are doing this project together with a 2000 Outback that was given to her -- this is a joint summer project. We were in the thick of putting on new head gaskets on the Outback engine, putting it all back together but the head of a bolt broke off when putting on the coolant switch over pipe and while trying to extract the broken bolt we broke off an easyout and are not sure if we'll be able to get it out. So, see this Forester L engine is a back up plan we may need to try.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,285 Posts
may need to swap intakes,

may need to swap idlers / pulleys.

but ...probably OK to do as long as you got both engines side by side.

both should be EJ251 of about the same year of manufacture,...so things maybe the same, with the MAP vs. MAF, and the pulleys/ idlers as to how they look and work

, but look at them and verify, before you drop it in and have a timing / gas issue

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for your advice. I'm really glad to say that our local machine shop was able to pull out the broken bolt so the plan b of buying the forester engine is moot at this point. We're still not out of the woods yet so I'll keep your advice close until were in the clear.

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
906 Posts
Check also if you have an access hole for the torque converter bolts, back of the engine on your passenger side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts