Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.5I Limited w/ Eyesight
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I recently purchased a 2017 2.5i premium outback and am thinking of selling my truck. My question revolves around towing/sag. I am planning on installing a Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Reciever - Class III 2" on it which has a max tongue weight of 600lb

If I get rid of the truck I would also purchase the Ultimate MX Hauler which weighs 50lbs.

Add my CRF450R which weighs around 270 and a 5-gallon fuel tank (35lbs give or take) would put me around 355lbs on just the tongue.
Finally, it is usually 2 adults (440 lbs) and our son (40lbs) plus gear (give or take 70lbs).

Question 1: would this be pushing my engine too hard if I towed like this a couple of times a month 200 miles?
Question 2: With all of that weight on the tongue would it be too much for the suspension to handle?

Thanks in advance for making it through my very specific questions!

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,590 Posts
The Gen 5 Outback's published tongue weight limit ... regardless of hitch rating ... is 200 pounds.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,748 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the engine or the suspension. I would worry about exceeding the 200lb tongue weight because the unibody structure isn't designed for it. The tongue weight listed on the hitch doesn't increase the tongue weight of the car.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Keep the truck, send the OB up the road...another first world problem solved. :)

Reactions: walker

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the way to do it.

View attachment 469940
Oh, heck yea! That is a sick setup. If I could find out where in the world I could put a trailer I would do that in a heartbeat. That is a piece of art right there! As of right now, we are thinking of just getting a used Honda Ridgeline to get back up to par with how far we are hauling.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Outback (green)
266 Posts
The Ridgeline doesn't have a full length bed. You'd have to put most bike in diagonally to get the gate to close (if it could be at all) or leave the gate open and REALLY secure the bikes. Neither are ideal.

I've used hitch transverse bike carriers a few times and found that no matter what the hitch and suspension are that it negatively effects handling and makes for some unpredictable behavior.

Have you got room for a fold up bike trailer like a Kendon or similar? They are a bit costly, but you really can keep it on a sidewalk or alongside a garage. Is them for sale used from time to time as well.

Jason

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,951 Posts
Well, this is depressing... Shows how much I know.
moved to towing section where this has been asked before.

buy a cheap light trailer to put the bike on.
keep the tongue under 200# and be happy without bending the unibody of the subaru.
....or keep the pickup for heavy / dirty work.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,748 Posts
If you have room to park the truck or the Ridgeline couldn't you just park a trailer in that spot instead?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I currently have 2 parking spots but no garage. My dirt bike is kept at my parents place so I would have to commandeer more room from them to store the trailer. Those Kendon trailers seem really nice though.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,951 Posts
I currently have 2 parking spots but no garage. My dirt bike is kept at my parents place so I would have to commandeer more room from them to store the trailer. Those Kendon trailers seem really nice though.
they make simple utility trailers that store vertically also.

but getting the motorcycle weight completely off the hitch and onto a trailer or dolly is needed.

the front wheel motorcycle hitch plate things are just not made for subarus, more like for a body on frame vehicle that is too tall or too stuffed inside to get a heavy bike up into. (at the expense of driving with the rear wheel on the pavement).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you familiar with Trailer-in-a-Bag? You could store it almost anywhere.
239#
Single person assembly
2000# axle
Rated up to 70mph
Never heard of them until now! Wow, those are perfect. I will have to look into one of them for sure.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5-slow Limited
67 Posts
Oh, heck yea! That is a sick setup. If I could find out where in the world I could put a trailer I would do that in a heartbeat. That is a piece of art right there! As of right now, we are thinking of just getting a used Honda Ridgeline to get back up to par with how far we are hauling.
DO IT! These subarus suck towing. I wish I hadn't sold our 14' ridgeline: subaru has fallen in quality and dependability. 1st or 2nd gen ridgline is bullet proof and will tow easy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts