Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 2.5 N/A EJ259 5MT
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear I've seen them before on a Baja and Legacy GT, but can't seem to find a picture of either of those models with this rim on it. Anyone know what these came on originally as stock wheels? I found a set for $200 and want to mount my snows on them. Decent deal? Anyone know how durable they are (I have a bad habit of bending rims).

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,480 Posts
I swear I've seen them before on a Baja and Legacy GT, but can't seem to find a picture of either of those models with this rim on it. Anyone know what these came on originally as stock wheels? I found a set for $200 and want to mount my snows on them. Decent deal? Anyone know how durable they are (I have a bad habit of bending rims).
if they are 2000-2014 16" subaru rims, they are good for snows.

_______

4 for $200 is not a good deal though,...unless they have usable snows on them.

I bought 2 sets of subaru 16" rims with snow tires on them.

one set off another member here for $225 (delivered half way) and I still have them.

and another set for $250 off craigslist. and I sold the almost new snows on them for $200 to a neighbor.
(I wanted to keep using my existing better studded snows, and he did not want studded snow tires on his impala that took the same 225/60/16.).
(rims were scratched from pebbles in snow banks at the end of driveways.... I cleaned them up and painted them recently).

_____

bare 16" subaru rims, or ones with tires ready for the dump, that can seal without gouges. = 4 for $100.

_____

edit: and the ones you have in the pic there maybe off some year of forester limited, or impreza

Reactions: GeorgerinNH

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,390 Posts
i think 16" subaru rims are all roughly the same in terms of durability - the type of tire they run is probably more indicative of issues, and sometimes there's a correlation between tire size (low profile) and rim.

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market shows wheel pictures by model, you could peruse there and find those wheels you have pictured.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Those rims specifically only came equipped on 2001 & 2002 Forester S trim models.

Reactions: GeorgerinNH

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,480 Posts
And a 6th and 7th... I bent 3 OEM alloy rims last year on my Outback.
one of the benefits to running 16" snows instead of 17" on cars that came with 17" rims as OEM.

the deeper sidewall protects the rim,...and 16" are cheaper tires.

maybe generic steel snow rims are for you. ...easy to replace if you actually dent one on the worst of the march potholes.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 2.5 N/A EJ259 5MT
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
one of the benefits to running 16" snows instead of 17" on cars that came with 17" rims as OEM.

the deeper sidewall protects the rim,...and 16" are cheaper tires.

maybe generic steel snow rims are for you. ...easy to replace if you actually dent one on the worst of the march potholes.
These were 16" rims. I only run 16's on my OB.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,390 Posts
And a 6th and 7th... I bent 3 OEM alloy rims last year on my Outback.
ha! yeah two complete sets might be on your christmas list.

how are you bending wheels but not blowing tires? with our terrible roads, tires blow far more often than wheels bend.

A bent lip doesn't mean the wheel needs replaced. we have terrible roads and blow tires/wheels routinely. we blow more tires than bend wheels, but if it's a minor deformation i'll use them for winter tires.

what's causing it? not everyone in your area is blowing wheels right - why not?

the 00-04 outback wheels have been fairly stout around my area. I dont' think i've bent one of those yet, but i've bent two wheels and blown at least 3 tires in the past two years.

if i were concerned with durable wheels - i'd be comparing weights - not making the decision entirely on that, but more material is more material, so comparing weights to visual amounts of material and it's distribution might be telling?

bad struts will cause blown tires/struts - they're not properly absorbing the energy so the tire/wheel gets it.

roads - maybe more side wall will help, get different aspect ratios? i clearly pop 205's more than 225's, but not sure if that's a universal truth or not.

tires - if your tires are blowing at the same time - then get tougher tires. for instance I blow the General Altimax tires like bubble gum - they have notably weak side walls. great tires, just not for my roads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts