Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the new Touring XT Outback out a couple of times and it's a nice ride except for when you open the shade covering the roof panel where you can hear significantly more noise. Considering that other makers have full panoramics that are quieter, it seems like an afterthought. Has anyone done anything to make it quieter so you can ride with the roof closed but the panel shade open?

· Administrator Of Internet High Fives
2,399 Posts
Benny @subaruonlineparts .... can get you one.

Air deflector

Though it will make it quieter when having the roof open. From experience.... Once mounted, never remove it. If you sell the car down the road, sell it with the car.

· Premium Member
2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness Dark Grey. Metallic Grey.
979 Posts
The air deflector helps a lot with the wind noise. However, if you get the Thule rack, there will be some wind-buffeting noise.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Benny @subaruonlineparts .... can get you one.

Air deflector

Though it will make it quieter when having the roof open. From experience.... Once mounted, never remove it. If you sell the car down the road, sell it with the car.
When it's open I don't mind it being loud but the road noise is pretty audible just from opening the sun shade itself.

· Premium Member
2020 Onyx
20,251 Posts
I don't think there's any effective means of noise reduction in pre-existing glass, however, there might be slight reduction if you have exoshield film applied to the outside of the glass and a layer of tint film applied on the inside.

Realistically though, if the sound level with the sunshade open is a deal breaker, then don't buy the car thinking you can quiet it down!

· Registered
231 Posts
I always found that most of the noise comes via the drainage system in the moon roof. Also. Explains why rain/puddles sound pronounced by the moon roof since the tubing drains to the bottom of the car around the wheels

1 - 6 of 6 Posts