Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hunch if you get the 3.6 (in either Touring or Limited Trim) that you're stuck with getting the sun/moon roof too. I certainly haven't seen a 3.6 without the sun/moon roof at a dealer. I was just wondering if it is possible to special order a 3.6 and elect not to have the sun/moon roof installed.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,501 Posts
Looks like the sunroof is standard even on the 2.5 Limited for '18. Optional only in the Premium and N/A in the Base.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
No. And why would you want to?
Max Headroom (not to be confused with the character/show from 80's tv)

I've never had the issue in about 10 years of having my Subaru, but it's not inconceivable for the seals/gaskets to leak.

Reactions: provels

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
510 Posts
Never use it on my Limited. I too would rather not have the hole in the roof.

At least it is a small one and not one of those stupid squeaky/leaky pano roofs.

Every few months, I open it and give the gaskets a wipe down with 303 Protectant.

Thank you for reminding me to 303 my sunroof gaskets. I 303 all the plastic cladding and door gaskets regularly but since I never use my sunroof, I forget it's there. I think I have opened the sunroof once since buying my Limited in early 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester
2 Posts

I've never had the issue in about 10 years of having my Subaru, but it's not inconceivable for the seals/gaskets to leak.
My 2003 Forester Sunroof started leaking about 3 years ago. We have it caulked shut (which is about as attractive as it sounds!).

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,501 Posts
I've had plenty of cars/SUVs with sunroofs and never a problem However, IMO, they really server a limited purpose anyway. Nice to let heat out when parked in the summer but a pain when the storm comes and you are several hundred feet away. Noisy when driving on the expressway and the sun beating in. Another system to fail. Guess I was fortunate the sunroof had not been included (on this one, anyway). Don't miss it. IMO.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

That is why I had to buy a premium and installed Katzkin seats. I do miss keyless start though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,627 Posts
I have a hunch if you get the 3.6 (in either Touring or Limited Trim) that you're stuck with getting the sun/moon roof too. I certainly haven't seen a 3.6 without the sun/moon roof at a dealer. I was just wondering if it is possible to special order a 3.6 and elect not to have the sun/moon roof installed.
I have a 2015 Outback 3.6 without a sunroof for sale on my lot right now. You could come and buy it from the Outback King himself!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I've had plenty of cars/SUVs with sunroofs and never a problem However, IMO, they really server a limited purpose anyway. Nice to let heat out when parked in the summer but a pain when the storm comes and you are several hundred feet away. Noisy when driving on the expressway and the sun beating in. Another system to fail. Guess I was fortunate the sunroof had not been included (on this one, anyway). Don't miss it. IMO.
They were an excellent idea when AC was not that prevalent on cars. It was the easiest way to make the car bearable after sitting in the hot sun.

But now, not so much. I wonder if others use it more often than I do. If so, what occasions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,246 Posts
I enjoy opening it when driving at slow speeds in the evenings, especially in downtown to have a nice dinner.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ Eyesight, Keyless, Nav, Moonroof
96 Posts
I never had one before and enjoy using it throughout the year, however in the summer only in the early AM and evenings.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Agreed, there is very little down side to having the sunroof on the subaru. Failure is suprisingly rare. Most common issue with leaking is a plugged drain, so check that before you make your car too embarrassing for your girlfriend to get in to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
They leak

I was hoping to be able to get without a sun/moon roof as the drains get clogged and leak into the passenger area. Last year they leaked and molded the headliner, carpets and pad. Now again this year they are clogged backed up and leaking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts