Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2008 n/a 5 speed manual outback
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I removed my engine to do a clutch job and some other things. Now that I'm bleeding the cooling system, there is a very small leak in the top radiator hose. Would it be okay to patch this hose somehow (the two radiator hoses are in very good condition otherwise). Maybe wrap electrical tape or duct tape around it?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,890 Posts
The coolant will still leak past any tape. Especially after heat and pressure build up.

You could probably use a bicycle it tire tube patch if you're in a pinch.

Is it close enough to either the engine pipe or radiator that trimming it some would help get you by for a bit?

·
Premium Member
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
555 Posts
Your not serious when suggesting this solution? It might work for a few minutes.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,046 Posts
Replace the hose. Coolant is very slippery and gets past almost every week spot.

Seagrass

·
Premium Member
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
555 Posts
I was modding at 16 too. Seems like just yesterday. Hopefully they don't take away my SS.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Ok sorry guys i’m only 16 so i’m still figuring things out. Thanks for the advice though! I guess i’ll just have to get a new hose.
You’ll learn more as you go along. I worked full time one summer in an independent garage. Learned lots of stuff there. I asked lots of questions when I was first learning (still have the tools I bought when I was 16). Wish I had the internet back then!

·
Registered
R.I.P. 2009 OB 2.5i 5MT
56 Posts
I've heard of tape being used roadside in order to get you home, but never past that. I wouldn't even guarantee it won't leak as soon as the engine warms up and there is pressure in the system.

You need to replace the hose.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Ok sorry guys i’m only 16 so i’m still figuring things out. Thanks for the advice though! I guess i’ll just have to get a new hose.☹
Nothing to apologize for. Many of us started turning wrenches at your age and made our share of mistakes. All part of the learning process.

A leaky radiator hose just isn't worth trying to save.

Have fun.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,205 Posts
Ok sorry guys i’m only 16 so i’m still figuring things out. Thanks for the advice though! I guess i’ll just have to get a new hose.☹
Big of you to admit this and just move on. There wasn't an internet when I was 16, but I'm sure that I asked many similar things at that age.

Best of luck, and don't let us put you off asking questions in the future - that's how you learn!

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Big of you to admit this and just move on. There wasn't an internet when I was 16, but I'm sure that I asked many similar things at that age.

Best of luck, and don't let us put you off asking questions in the future - that's how you learn!
Same here, learned a lot from my grandfather and had a great collection of these

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
901 Posts
If the leak is from the end of the hose, you probably didn’t tighten it enough and just a few more turns may fix the leak. Worked for me when I did my head gaskets a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,030 Posts
All the old timers here know a roadside repair can be made.
Nowadays there is silicon rescue tape that is self sealing. Better for this kind of repair than duct tape (there, I said it).
But you have to put some kind of clamping device over it too. Old skool was bailing wire. I keep a couple of different size clamps and zip ties in the road trip tool kit.
Remember the cooling system pressurizes a few psi when the engine warms up. That is the challenge to patching a hose.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts