Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 OB sedan with an automatic, I'm wondering if I can start in first gear then shiftI up through the gears like a ratchet shifter basically.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,620 Posts
should be no problem. I've driven several automatics across brands like that.

I have no idea about long-term issues, if any.

are you experiencing a problem that you're trying to fix by manually shifting? I'd be hesitant to persist in manual shifting an auto that was already exhibiting a failure.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,197 Posts
a 2000 H4 165hp / 165 torque kind of car is not a drag racer.

the regular shift program seems to do a pretty good job on acceleration even if you stand on it all the way to 90mph.
(its only 4 speeds, not really smart,...just smart enough)

______

I shift by hand down to 3rd,...and occasionally 2nd all the time for engine braking.

1st is soo low, and you come out of it so fast its kind of pointless to put it down there unless you are going down the steepest driveway or off roading where you "need" 1st.

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,302 Posts
heat is the AT enemy. If you're using the auto selector to hold gears higher through the rev range more than very intermittently, i would imagine thinking about a trans cooler would be on the short list.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,197 Posts
heat is the AT enemy. If you're using the auto selector to hold gears higher through the rev range more than very intermittently, i would imagine thinking about a trans cooler would be on the short list.
cant do that on a 2000-2004 4EAT. what happens is you lock out the higher gears. (really easy to do with the gated shifter). ...and I know you = Mad Mallard know that with the collection of cars you got.

for those outside of mountainous areas that NEVER pull down the gate,
I would recommend personally testing a drop to 3rd and then 2nd, while rolling around 30mph up to a stop sign / light, and watch how the trans slows the engine..

its kind of a nice tool in the box to make good use of, if you got wonky brakes just before getting them fixed. (and then remember to go back to D)

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
Get a 5EAT sport-shift and bang away. Funny thing is, I rarely touch the gears myself. XRT has the smack down on my 5EATs...they are sweet.

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,302 Posts
it is kinda fun how tall the 3rd gear on the WRX's 4eat is.

I can have full boost from a pull in the 30s all the way up to like 90 ;p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
should be no problem. I've driven several automatics across brands like that.

I have no idea about long-term issues, if any.

are you experiencing a problem that you're trying to fix by manually shifting? I'd be hesitant to persist in manual shifting an auto that was already exhibiting a failure.
Not experiencing any issues just thought Itd help hold revs and maybe be better for offroading and sliding around in gravel

·
Master Caster
16,119 Posts
it is kinda fun how tall the 3rd gear on the WRX's 4eat is.

I can have full boost from a pull in the 30s all the way up to like 90 ;p
In the tuning world we call that a 3rd gear pull...

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,620 Posts
Not experiencing any issues just thought Itd help hold revs and maybe be better for offroading and sliding around in gravel
shouldn't be any worse for the car than hooning around off-road!

I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

·
Master Caster
16,119 Posts
We have a guy in the XRT group running 33's on a Gen3. He HAS to shift manually. The AT is not happy trying to compensate for that diameter and weight. So far, so good for this guy. He's been doing it for many miles.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,197 Posts
I tried some first gear action with my H4 sedan today, while working on some steep paved / steep gravel roads / driveways.
I did not shift up manually to "2" until I got to like 28mph.

no big deal when starting from a dead stop.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
I traded in my 2007 2.5i engine Legacy with automatic and manual mode/sport mode where it'd indicate which gears it could go up/down at a given RPM. The car wouldn't let me do anything dangerous to it for gear choices, and would shoft as needed to avoid being wound up too much.

I don't have experience/knowledge with what your car has, but I'd expect similar details, and the biggest thing you'd experience is poor gas mileage: automatic transmissions use feedback from the engine and engine computer to know when to shift for efficiency and not cause damage, and are designed for that. Going "manual" just allows you to make different choices in regards to optimization, but the transmission/computer (at least on my 2007) was designed to not let you cause harm by using it manually, unless you go way out of your way to be stupid.

Other than heat build up (mentioned previously: I've never had a tranny warn of overheating in any car I've driven, perhaps they didn't have a way to report it) I'd not be worried short of shifting between forward and reverse with car still in motion.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback Base
91 Posts
I played around with manual shifting my auto a bit last winter. I slowed down enough to safely drop the car into second. Then I started around a slick turn and pushed the gas a bit. I never expected my back end to kick out like it did. And it wasn't the sudden over steer the autos can do either, where it under steers first. The back end just took off and I just went sideways into the turn. I guess the slower speeds and being in second made the power transfer way more aggressive or something. Might have to play around with that again this winter now that I know what to expect, and do it where there isn't a car coming the other way like last time.......woops :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts