Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2023 OB Touring XT - Autumn Green/Black
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My partner and I bring our dogs pretty much everywhere, loaded in the backseat so they have access to an air vent. Loading up our 50-60lb Aussies and Border Collie was never a problem in my old Forester but my 23OB has these rather annoying chimes for the seat belts. It's like false-start chiming, "bi-bi-bing bi-bi-bing"! I've done quite a bit of searching around here and elsewhere and can't find an actual solution to shut off the chime. I'm not a fan of the dummy seat belt plugs, and I really don't want to pull down the middle seat belt and block my rear view. I'd escpecially not like to start unplugging things under the seat as I haven't been able to definitively confirm it doesn't effect airbag deployment. I've had success with the 20/30 method up front, but not in the rear.

Has anyone found a solution to actually turn off the chimes, not just trick the system?

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
4,614 Posts
Your disdain of the of the word "trick" seems misplaced. Also not sure why you are afraid of unplugging rear-seat sensors.... what do you expect to remain after all these limitations?

Not sure if your Subie is like previous model-years... but Subaru's used to be FULL of 'easter eggs'. (tricks to modify behavior)

One I use all the time is the seatbelt-chime silencer. Once the chime is disabled, it remains so until turned back on (or battery is disconnected)

Perhaps this might help you? ==>How to Guide: Disable Subaru Seatbelt Alarm/Chime

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! So I did the chime silencer (I referred to 20/30 method) as shown in the video and had it work for the front seats. That didn't silence the back and I even tried doing the 20/30 trick in the back seat but those seats seem to be on a different circuit. My concern with disconnecting the sensors is that I haven't been able to get confirmation that it won't also turn off (or rather disallow arming of) the airbags back there. I'd rather not pull up the seat every time I have a human back there.

I guess my overall question is: Is there a similar 20/30 method for the backseat to turn the software off on the chiming?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried just snapping in the seatbelts across the empty seat?
If there doesn't seem to be a way to turn off the chime, I'll probably end up doing this. We had tried that on our second outing, but one of the dogs managed to unbuckle one lol

Reactions: Trail Runner

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Outback Autumn Green Metallic Onyx XT Full nameless exhaust with mufflers, Ironman lift
19 Posts
Dog seat belts! you can get a set of 2 for under 12 bucks, also some are cheaper. I swear by them not only to eliminate the rear seat chime, but also to keep the doggos safe. the seatbelt hack did not work for my rear seats. Leaving the dog belts in is my solution.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2021 XT Touring Popular package #2 OEM Hitch
765 Posts
Dog seat belts! you can get a set of 2 for under 12 bucks, also some are cheaper. I swear by them not only to eliminate the rear seat chime, but also to keep the doggos safe. the seatbelt hack did not work for my rear seats. Leaving the dog belts in is my solution.

That's what I have. Stops car stops when I go to NJ too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can turn off the chime with the 20 inserts in under 30 seconds option, and it is for each individual seat.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You can turn off the chime with the 20 inserts in under 30 seconds option, and it is for each individual seat.
People keep saying this every time someone brings up the rear seats, but in my experience this does not work for anything but the front seats, and it is not an individual seat item either because doing it on just one of the front seats disables both of them.

I just used seat belt clip "blanks" for the rear seats, as my dog is at an in-between weight which was constantly causing the rear seat sensors to ding:

·
Registered
49 Posts
People keep saying this every time someone brings up the rear seats, but in my experience this does not work for anything but the front seats, and it is not an individual seat item either because doing it on just one of the front seats disables both of them.

I just used seat belt clip "blanks" for the rear seats, as my dog is at an in-between weight which was constantly causing the rear seat sensors to ding:
That is not my experience, and I tested with a passenger. I had to disable each separately.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is not my experience, and I tested with a passenger. I had to disable each separately.
Not saying you're wrong, just that I performed it once for my driver seat and both that and the front passenger were disabled, not any of the rear. Then I performed it separately for the rear but still got the chime. There's definitely a possibility that I'm doing something wrong and that's muddling the results I'm presenting.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Very strange since we have the same year and model of car. But I definitely only did this once, myself, with nobody in the passenger seat, and both front seats now have no chime. I've actually done it twice in this car now since I had a prolonged battery disconnection at one point which reset it.

Rear seats cannot, in my car, be disabled via the same method.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts