Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think no is the answer but with the new 10 yr 120000 warranty available now do you think they would allow you to change from the 7yr 100000? I understand I would have to negotiate price with little leverage. I own a 2015 limited with 39000 miles and have never used the extended plan. I have owned since new and bought the original plan with car. Thing have changed and will be keeping this for a while. Doug

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,766 Posts
Excellent question! I'm looking forward to a (hopefully) positive answer.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,111 Posts
Read you contract. If you've never made a claim, you can cancel the SAS contract at any time and receive a pro-rata refund. Theoretically, if you're still within the original 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty you should then be able to apply for a new SAS contract, but I doubt that it would be cost effective to do so.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Two point here:

1) We don't know how a given dealership bills claims. When you have double coverage (warranty and a contract), the part and labor might be billed to SOA, the rental car to the VSA, or any mix. I saw this happen several times on my last two Toyota.

2) Even if there was a claim, it would still be interesting to see how this question plays out. My 4.25 year old 2014 only has 35k miles on it (8k per year). I'd add years but not miles if I could, so the increase in price might be modest and worth it to me.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I think no is the answer but with the new 10 yr 120000 warranty available now do you think they would allow you to change from the 7yr 100000? I understand I would have to negotiate price with little leverage. I own a 2015 limited with 39000 miles and have never used the extended plan. I have owned since new and bought the original plan with car. Thing have changed and will be keeping this for a while. Doug
I posed this question directly to the SOA warranty administrators a few years ago and the answer was no.

You can surrender the current contract and receive a Pro Rata reimbursement...... example: at 3-yrs you lose about 50% of original contract value because the contract stats at day-1. You can then purchase a new contract before the 36-month cutoff. That contract is back-dated to date of initial vehicle purchase and delivery. So, upon purchasing a new contract post delivery, the cash value of the contract is already diminished by a pro rata value.

On the other hand toyota's policy at one time was - as long as there were no warranty claims and the vehicle had less than 36k-miles under 36-months since purchase, you'd receive a full refund less a $50 admin fee.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,111 Posts
We don't know how a given dealership bills claims. When you have double coverage (warranty and a contract), the part and labor might be billed to SOA, the rental car to the VSA, or any mix.
The SAS contract stipulates that it is secondary to the original vehicle warranty coverage. I have no idea how dealers actually handle it, but I'll bet there are some automated checks built into the SAS claims process. You raise a good point about car rental, lodging, etc. that are advertised as benefits beyond the original warranty.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
With Toyota, I received a separate questionnaire asking to verify a service from the VSA division, that I'd assumed would have been billed to the OEM warranty.

With Subaru I had a 4 day rental when delivery of a starter (under the 3/36 OEM warranty) was held up. The dealer doesn't typically provide rentals unless you have a VSA. Here's the wild one: My dealer takes out a VSA (minimum coverage) at their expense on any customer over a certain distance just to provide this service. When I took a more expense plan, they applied for a refund for the plan they took out in my name. There's a paper trail to show it.

So I think in practice it's a lot more 'grey' then the paperwork says.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So answer is no? I might give SOA 800 number a call just to be sure. In original post I stated that I had 39000 miles so canceling and starting over would not be allowed or financially worth the money. My thinking was they lose nothing if car continues it's great reliability and I pay a little more for a few more years of coverage. Just thought it would be nice to have a zero deductible plan for ten years. Doug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts