Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older OBD2 adapter that doesn't see the TPMS related errors. I am fighting with some TPMS problems on my 2021, and trying to see if I can clear the error myself. Another community member said clearing out the error that was stored, C2921, was able to make the tire pressures start working again.

It sounds like the cause of this is when there's erratic data, and the car has the TPMS DTC. Then, it's stored in memory and blanks out all of the TPMS values, even the ones that are working properly.

I recently had a front passenger side one changed under warranty but the process took over 2 hours to complete, plus the 30 minutes each way to the dealership. I just don't have that kind of time. If I can buy an OBD adapter that lets me clear it out, that would be very helpful.

Someone suggested the "Viecar Bluetooth 4.0" OBD reader with a free app like "Car Scanner" but I'm trying to confirm that this will actually pull and clear a TPMS code.

I don't know about TPMS codes. Are they in other locations? I have my older OBD2 adapter - an OBDLink LX with an Android phone used solely to connect to the OBDLink - and it tells me there's 0 DTC's pending or in history.

I don't mind spending the money for the new adapter, since I could use it with my iPhone, but if someone else had experience with it and/or TPMS codes, that would be useful information.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Touring
16 Posts
I have an older OBD2 adapter that doesn't see the TPMS related errors. I am fighting with some TPMS problems on my 2021, and trying to see if I can clear the error myself. Another community member said clearing out the error that was stored, C2921, was able to make the tire pressures start working again.

It sounds like the cause of this is when there's erratic data, and the car has the TPMS DTC. Then, it's stored in memory and blanks out all of the TPMS values, even the ones that are working properly.

I recently had a front passenger side one changed under warranty but the process took over 2 hours to complete, plus the 30 minutes each way to the dealership. I just don't have that kind of time. If I can buy an OBD adapter that lets me clear it out, that would be very helpful.

Someone suggested the "Viecar Bluetooth 4.0" OBD reader with a free app like "Car Scanner" but I'm trying to confirm that this will actually pull and clear a TPMS code.

I don't know about TPMS codes. Are they in other locations? I have my older OBD2 adapter - an OBDLink LX with an Android phone used solely to connect to the OBDLink - and it tells me there's 0 DTC's pending or in history.

I don't mind spending the money for the new adapter, since I could use it with my iPhone, but if someone else had experience with it and/or TPMS codes, that would be useful information.

Thanks.

Thanks.
Guess you did not believe me. Said it cleared the TPMS light.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,947 Posts
C codes are proprietary chassis codes. Most basic code readers can only see generic Powertrain codes and don't support proprietary codes. The first person that responded to you indicated that your suggested choice can see Subaru codes.

Dedicated TPMS tool are the other choice.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your response @PowPow-Skier ... To be clear, I don't see a TPMS "light", I simply have blank Pressure values. Maybe that is why I am not understanding your response.

I will order the device you mentioned on Amazon, and worst case scenario, simply return it.

@Fibber2 Thanks for your description of the basic/advanced OBD readers. I will give the one the first responder suggested a try.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Touring
16 Posts
C codes are proprietary chassis codes. Most basic code readers can only see generic Powertrain codes and don't support proprietary codes. The first person that responded to you indicated that your suggested choice can see Subaru codes.

Dedicated TPMS tool are the other choice.
Here is the deal, get the blinking tpms light with blank sensor numbers. Eventually get a giant tpms message where the sensor numbers usually show up. Turn car off and back on still the light is there. Plug in Viecar Bluetooth connect thru Car Scanner app. The app has a clear code selection. Do that tpms light goes away. Drive car and numbers come back.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Touring
16 Posts
Here is the deal, get the blinking tpms light with blank sensor numbers. Eventually get a giant tpms message where the sensor numbers usually show up. Turn car off and back on still the light is there. Plug in Viecar Bluetooth connect thru Car Scanner app. The app has a clear code selection. Do that tpms light goes away. Drive car and numbers come back.
The Car Scanner app has all sorts of useable info. The dashboard lets one see different values of your choice and display in real time, oil temp, rad temp, boost. Useful on a trip. Just saying.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Touring
16 Posts
The Car Scanner app has all sorts of useable info. The dashboard lets one see different values of your choice and display in real time, oil temp, rad temp, boost. Useful on a trip. Just saying.
Recently when I changed to summer tires and set the new numbers via the AtQuikset got blank numbers on the dash. Did a redo of the AtQuikset a second time where I press the summer button on that device and the numbers came back after a little drive.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I ordered the one you suggested today and should have it on Wednesday. I will report back if it works or doesn’t. I haven’t seen the TPMS error you mentioned yet and it’s been a while. I’m on the factory set as well. It is possible that I just have a bad batch of sensors. If that is the worst thing that happens to my car ownership I will be very happy!

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Touring
16 Posts
Recently when I changed to summer tires and set the new numbers via the AtQuikset got blank numbers on the dash. Did a redo of the AtQuikset a second time where I press the summer button on that device and the numbers came back after a little drive.
More I think about it wonder if your tpms sensor numbers are actually missing (not stored) in your ECU therefore your just always getting blank numbers. The ATQuikset stores the tpms numbers from a PC then it is used to upload the numbers to the ECU. Wonder if you dealer dicked up.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Touring
16 Posts
More I think about it wonder if your tpms sensor numbers are actually missing (not stored) in your ECU therefore your just always getting blank numbers. The ATQuikset stores the tpms numbers from a PC then it is used to upload the numbers to the ECU. Wonder if you dealer dicked up.
Have VT31 from ATEQ as well. Hold next to valve stem gives you number-id of tpms and battery status. You then feed the number-id into your PC via the AtQuikset program then take AtQuikset and upload to car.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I have used the ATEQ tool in the past so I am familiar with what you’re talking about. I didn’t consider that the dealer didn’t program the replacement sensor properly since it was working for a bit before it failed again.

The Viecar should be here tomorrow and if it works, great. If it doesn’t I will do this the old fashioned way and check it weekly by hand and have it fixed at my next service which should be in about 2 months since I do 6 month/3000 mile intervals.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Have VT31 from ATEQ as well. Hold next to valve stem gives you number-id of tpms and battery status. You then feed the number-id into your PC via the AtQuikset program then take AtQuikset and upload to car.
I bought the Quickset in 2011, and then did the "2 step dance" (Quickset & a VT31-like tool from Autel) for two years. But you can't really do TPMS diagnostics that way. Sold them both in 2019 and bought an Autel TS508.

Too bad SSM4 isn't more readily available in a 'home version' like Techstream (Toyota dealer tool). Then you'd be able to see what's going on in a lot more detail.

Reactions: PilotXT

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
662 Posts
Too bad SSM4 isn't more readily available in a 'home version' like Techstream (Toyota dealer tool). Then you'd be able to see what's going on in a lot more detail.
It is, if you don't mind "cheating the system". To use SSM4 you need a device like a VXDiag VCX SE/Nano Pro which sell for around $220.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
It is, if you don't mind "cheating the system". To use SSM4 you need a device like a VXDiag VCX SE/Nano Pro which sell for around $220.
I've learned a lot from OBDII365.com blog, but haven't ventured into SSM4.

Reactions: PilotXT

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT/ Crystal Black Silica/ Primitive Triple Armor/ 18" Terra's in Rally Bronze w/ Wildpeaks
13 Posts
Will the ATQuickset work on 2020+ cars? I just checked Amazon quickly and the information said to 2019MY. I just had my new wheels and tires put on, had the shop program the TPMS and a couple days later I'm getting a warning.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Touring
16 Posts
Will the ATQuickset work on 2020+ cars? I just checked Amazon quickly and the information said to 2019MY. I just had my new wheels and tires put on, had the shop program the TPMS and a couple days later I'm getting a warning.
Have a ATQuickset for 3-4 years. Use their PC program. Get the sensor ids from a VT31. Feed the sensor ids into the PC program. Download to ATQuickset. Plug into OBD and press Summer/Winter. Have a 2020 Outback XT Touring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts