Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking to see if anyone has run into this problem and found a resolution. When filling gas tank, the nozzle would click off every 5 seconds as if the tank was full, even though I knew it was not. Called dealer, they couldn't get us in for a month, so went to local mechanic. His diagnosis was fuel filler line, he replaced and problem was still there (his credit, he did not charge me- if anyone needs an honest mechanic in Northern Virginia, LMK). Convinced dealer to look at it, they replaced the charcoal filter and said problem was fixed, I had to pick up after hours, went to fill up gas and still same problem. 2012 Outback 2.5L

Anyone encounter similar problem? Any guidance? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
16,406 Posts
Any guidance?
The drain valve on the charcoal canister can cause that problem if it's blocked or otherwise not open. There are ways to confirm if it, or the canister, are bad other than just replacing the whole assembly, but that requires time. As this is not an uncommon fault, I would believe they just replaced it, without first verifying and probably didn't take the car out to a gas station afterwards to see if the fuel could be added to the tank without the pump shutting off.

The work order would/should have described the problem. If they said the described problem "is fixed" and it isn't, they should make it right. I'd bring the car back to the dealer. If they're doubtful, perhaps go out to a gas station with a shop representative and demonstrate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
details on car? miles, new to you, quality of prior care, present condition, how is it used, aftermarket mods, any work or wrecks before the above problem started?
about 51k miles, it was new to us, well taken care of, mostly highway driving, no modifications or wrecks.

·
Registered
17,023 Posts
The dealership needs to re-visit the problem as mentioned above.

My MIL had to have the fuel tank replaced on her Forester. Some internal valves seem to have become gummy/stuck from sitting unused a lot.

BTW - according to the TIME side of the maintenance schedule, the car will soon need a timing belt system service.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've had this issue before and it turned out to be the vent valve on the tank charcoal filter. It only did it when the car was nearly empty and had been driven highway speeds for a while. My wife would wait till it cooled down and then it would vent and allow the car to be filled. Spiders had built a web in the vent.

·
Registered
17,023 Posts
yeah, a bunch of Mazdas were PLAGUED by the spider web blockages in the past.

you could try pulling hoses off the canister when filling, make note of which hose's disconnection improves the problem and trace from there. If NO hose disconnection helps, problem could be in the tank.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Same gas station every time?

Some stations deliver their fuel at a higher rate than others, which will cause the fuel to foam more, causing the pump to shut off quickly, Try delivering at a slower rate and see what happens - if it continues to shut off prematurely, then yea, there is a venting problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts