Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2013 limited Outback 2.5i, pzev, rear seat protectors, Venetian red pearl, all weather floor mats, rear cargo net, viper remote start, puddle lights, body side molding,
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen about every post showing every diagram of how to release the seat. I cannot seem to get it to release so that I can put a "leatherete" seat cover (on top of my leather seats, lol). We have a kid and she likes to kick at the seat, throw soggy cheerios and sometimes splosh milk around. The IDIOTS at the Anchorage, Alaska subaru shop don't seem to be able to figure it out. I'm not gonna pay them an hourly rate to get them to do it.

I talked to one sales guy on the phone who seemed to think that a seat cover will inhibit the airbags back there....not likely since they fit flush where the EXISTING UPHOLSTERY is...lol

Any ideas?:confused:

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Pretty sure the seat bottom is bolted in place two bolts between the bottom and top if you dig around. Front side may just be a catch that holds the front down.

Two kids and the leather interior just delt with a bottle that was turned over on the seat filling it full of milk. Cleaned it up so far no issues with smelling up the car. The leather seats are pretty durable if you yank the kids seat out every few weeks and do a good wipe down its not going to bother them much.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
And before the idiots start spouting off about how no food or drink in the car they clearly don't lead an active life where the kids are brought along given they would know a kid needs to eat and stopping your life every time they need to eat doesn't make much sense.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
the seat bottom is so unbelievably easy it requires no tools. can be taken out in less than 30 seconds. the seat back is a little more difficult. but you shouldn't have to remove the seatback. for just seatcovers the bottom should be enough. if you have to take out those side panels where the lever for recline is located youll need a stubby philips screwdriver. but again for seatcovers, you shouldn't need any tools.

·
Registered
2013 limited Outback 2.5i, pzev, rear seat protectors, Venetian red pearl, all weather floor mats, rear cargo net, viper remote start, puddle lights, body side molding,
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And before the idiots start spouting off about how no food or drink in the car they clearly don't lead an active life where the kids are brought along given they would know a kid needs to eat and stopping your life every time they need to eat doesn't make much sense.

Lol, I WANT to be one of those idiots, but I know the bitter truth!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked, the only bracket with bolts I see holds the seat back on and has nothing to do with the bottom. There is definitely some kinda attachment about 8 inches in from either side on the front. A white plasticky clip or something that has no give whatsoever and I was yanking about as hard as I am willing to for fear of breaking something. I tried pulling forward some and up to no avail...

Has anyone actually done this on a 2013 limited with leather seats. I assume that all trims have the exact same attachment points, but i'm not taking any risks...please obiwan, you're my only help.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
The front of the rear seat pulls straight up. There are two "posts" facing straight down on the underside of the front edge of the rear seat cushion that snap into nylon "inserts". Each one is close to the front edge and a little outside the centerline of the rear seats. There are two question mark shaped hooks with the opening facing downward that hold the rear of the seat cushion in place so it cannot move upward. The seat has metal rods sticking out the sides of the rear cushion at the back that the hooks hold in place. They allow the seat bottom to pivot/swivel upwards when you pull up on the front edge. Once the front edge swivels up (about 45degrees)push the cushion back towards the rear and then down to "unlock/free" the rear of the cushion from the ?mark hooks. This allows you to then slide the cushion forward for removal.

This is not difficult to do but tough to explain.(for me anyway) Hope this helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol, I'll buy you a virtual beer if you video yourself doing it :D Thanks for the tons of info there that I've not seen anywhere online. Maybe i'm being to "gentle" i'll giver **** and see what happens...whats the worst I have to do, buy new brackety thingies? :D

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I just went out and fiddled around a bit with the back seat. If you wedge your fingers between the bottom front edge of the cushion and carpet on the center stitch line of the either of the two rear "seats" you can feel where the post and insert are. I stood facing the front of the car and leaned in and with both hands/fingers wedged in on either side of the fastener gave a quick jerk straight up and it popped out easily. Ahem....YMMV.;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
OBnube's directions worked great. After some wrestling, new seat covers are now installed! Thank you OBnube!:)

(p.s this info was also confirmed by our dealer, but the dealer called us back after we had already figured it out from OBnube's instructions.)

I just went out and fiddled around a bit with the back seat. If you wedge your fingers between the bottom front edge of the cushion and carpet on the center stitch line of the either of the two rear "seats" you can feel where the post and insert are. I stood facing the front of the car and leaned in and with both hands/fingers wedged in on either side of the fastener gave a quick jerk straight up and it popped out easily. Ahem....YMMV.;)

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
You're welcome. Definitely easier done than said.;) Congrats on the car and welcome. Post some pics of the new covers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've tried again and again to yank up on the part, if you fold yourself in half, you can almost see some white plastic in the front attachment area. I've placed a hand on either side of that and yanked and still no joy. I'm really afraid to giver ****...I guess i'm screwed.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Bummer. Have you tried both sides? Once you get one popped up you won't have any concerns with damage on the second. One difference I found with the OB back seat is there does not appear to be a solid "rail" supporting the entire bottom front edge of the seat. IOW you can pop one side up a bit without the other side moving or popping out. You have to do each one individually.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to try and capture a small video of me (fruitlessly and comically) trying this. It may not be pretty, but i'll try to upload it with a link here :)

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I'm going to try and capture a small video of me (fruitlessly and comically) trying this. It may not be pretty, but i'll try to upload it with a link here :)
I promise to laugh WITH you not at you.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Removing Seat Bottom from 2014 Outback

The information quoted below was accurate for my 2014 Outback with cloth seats. Standing outside the car I was able to easily pull, really more of a jerking action, on the seat bottom and it came right out. Walking to the other side I repeated the feat. I am not big and burly -- this required no extraordinary strength ;-)

I'll post a pic or two shortly to show the piece that you're attempting to pull out. It is a u-shaped metal piece that goes into a nylon receptacle.

Good luck.

The front of the rear seat pulls straight up. There are two "posts" facing straight down on the underside of the front edge of the rear seat cushion that snap into nylon "inserts". Each one is close to the front edge and a little outside the centerline of the rear seats. There are two question mark shaped hooks with the opening facing downward that hold the rear of the seat cushion in place so it cannot move upward. The seat has metal rods sticking out the sides of the rear cushion at the back that the hooks hold in place. They allow the seat bottom to pivot/swivel upwards when you pull up on the front edge. Once the front edge swivels up (about 45degrees)push the cushion back towards the rear and then down to "unlock/free" the rear of the cushion from the ?mark hooks. This allows you to then slide the cushion forward for removal.

This is not difficult to do but tough to explain.(for me anyway) Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Glad it worked for you. Welcome aboard and congrats on the new ride.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts