Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam. But after spending hours searching these forums and elsewhere online, I haven't found a decent solution...

I want to get my canoe up on these darn racks. The canoe is just about as wide as the factory cross bars, so I don't have a good way to sit the canoe down. I tried using those foam pads, but I'm not a fan. Ideally I could run an aftermarket rail that extends beyond the side rails, but don't have a good way to attach it, since, well plastic....Anyone have a simple solution?

I've considered using the yakima keelover load stops, and turning them inside the boat, but I'm not sure I can push them far enough so the edge of the boat will still sit on it..plus I'd probably have a gab inside between the leg and the boat to fill.

Is there any product that clamps some cross rails directly to the factory rails? Seems like that would be a viable solution, but haven't found it. Again, sorry for the repost, but any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Convenience
334 Posts
You can try mounting clamps E361SAJ801 - they essentially create a 3/8" bolt attachment point for whatever load you might have. I keep a set under the trunk floor just in case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. these could be useful. Could try to fabricate some sort of angle bracket that bolts on, id like it better if it were two bolts though. really wish there were a simpler option...

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2018 Lexus LX570, 1998 Toyota LC 100, 1987 Toyota FJ60
756 Posts
I'm confused - why not just buy some Thule canoe mounts and pop them on the factory rack? Although I am not a fan of the rack, it is wide enough to hold my biggest canoe - a Wenonah Minnesota II. Also holds my Spirit and Sundowner as well. If really not wide enough go buy the Yakima LP15 and a set of 66" bars/Control Towers off craigslist and be done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weird, don't know why those yakima lp 15 didn't show, must have missed them. I guess the downside is you only get a 30" spread, but they say it's good. I think this is my best shot, thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2018 Lexus LX570, 1998 Toyota LC 100, 1987 Toyota FJ60
756 Posts
The 30" spread is absolutely not an issue for any canoe or solo sea kayak. The only boat I have that I have any concern with is my 22' tandem sea kayak which I support using a Yakima rack that fits in the receiver hitch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Reviving this thread to post a potential solution for anyone interested.

My canoe is 35" wide at the center, outside gunnel to outside gunnel. I tried mounting my existing Thule Portage gunnel stops to the factory crossbars on my 2020 Outback and could not get enough spread between the gunnel stops to seat the canoe. It was only off by about 1/2 and inch but it rendered my old Portage gunnel stops useless. The problem, as best I can determine, is the back of the outboard surface of the bottom clamp on the portage is actually further outboard than the vertical part of the Portage gunnel stop, as can be seen in this picture. https://cdn1.static-tgdp.com/ui/productimages/approved/std.lang.all/04/79/440479_sized_1800x1200_rev_1.jpg So even with the bottom clamp pulled flush with with roof rail, I couldn't get enough spread for my canoe. Same problem with the Yakima Keelover. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0266/3943/3776/products/1_b9f38bb5-4abf-4202-ba7e-f5fdc4235fef_1512x.jpg?v=1595297931

After searching the web, I found the Malone BigFoot gunnel stops. On these, the vertical portion of the gunnel stop is outboard of the clamp, as seen in this picture (not on Subaru crossbars). https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-hpfptf/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/3148/6922/malone-big-foot-pro-canoe-carrier-22__69155.1462809576.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on This little design difference gave me the extra width I needed for mounting my canoe on the factory 2020 Outback crossbars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts