Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
gypsy danger: 07 outback 2.5i touring. often broken?
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 has factory installed crossbars. They look nice, and have locking endcaps and I assume something is supposed to lock into them.

The problem is, my canoe is wider than the bars. Is there something that slides into the bars that will hold a wider canoe?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Outback Wagon LL Bean Limited 2.5i
838 Posts
My 07 has factory installed crossbars. They look nice, and have locking endcaps and I assume something is supposed to lock into them.

The problem is, my canoe is wider than the bars. Is there something that slides into the bars that will hold a wider canoe?

You might need longer crossbars from yakima / thule. I ve seen the kayak rack and they are usually loaded sideways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
A picture of the existing crossbars would be really helpful.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stock bars.
Kinda disappointing that there to narrow. The 2X4s sounds like a good plan.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
Funky, are you in Canada?

No, the 2x4s are not a good idea. You can pick up any of a variety of fully compatible Yakima or Thule options for cheap on craigslist or eBay.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes to Canada. Do I need specif towers to mount aftermarket crossbars?

If the 2X4s are attached to the roof rails and the canoe sitting on the boards but strapped to the roof rails, I don't see any way it's unsafe.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I just picked up my dads 18footer for a trip next week. Yakima rail grabs from craigs list $80 with locks. 54 in cross bars. Hood/fender loops done and done. 35mph delta winds while driving 65mph on the other hand had me holding my breath a few times. No issues but it does make you think.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd love to see a picture of the canoe in question. I'm having trouble envisioning a canoe that's wider than even the smallest car's roof rack.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd love to see a picture of the canoe in question. I'm having trouble envisioning a canoe that's wider than even the smallest car's roof rack.
It's a canoe... 14ft I believe. It's not wider than the roof rails, but it sits against the locking endcaps on the cross bars. They in turn vibrate off and the canoe falls down onto the roof.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's a canoe... 14ft I believe. It's not wider than the roof rails, but it sits against the locking endcaps on the cross bars. They in turn vibrate off and the canoe falls down onto the roof.

Got it .. so it must still have some crazy beam width on it. Sounds like you really just need some gunwale brackets - every rack manufacturer has a couple different styles and there are some designed to fit factory racks as well so you don't have to mess around with the cost, weight, noise and slightly reduced mileage of having aftermarket crossbars installed. If you're creative I bet you could figure out how to improvise brackets out of u-bolts and rubber bushings at a hardware store. Look at items like the Yakima KeelOver, or even Thule Load Stop 503 brackets for inspiration; these are not complicated devices to improvise.

If there really isn't enough room left on your rack for a gunwale bracket, then i would buy into a complete system. Yes they're terribly overpriced for their materials, but they are very well designed, last forever, and hold their resell very well. As an avid sea kayaker I can tell you that I've gone through multiple kayak carriers over the years and recently paid up for a "cadillac system" and Im extremely happy with it and I had bought it a decade ago.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
good grief, sell it and get a narrower canoe! haha

friends of mine use cushions and just carry their large canoe's or row boats on top of their vehicles with *no* cross bars. Is there any way to incorporate cushions, use them independent of the cross bars or slot them for the bars and allow them to hold the canoe up above the end caps?

otherwise - yeah just get a real crossbar set that's a little wider and accomodating.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
Other than being ugly and not being a viable long term solution (weather / UV damage) why would treated 2x4/2x6 be a bad idea?

Clamp it to the bars. Clamp the canoe to the 2x material.

I've carried 4'x8' sheet goods using a similar method. The 2x was going front to back though.

But it was stable.

·
Registered
2007 2.5 base 5MT
140 Posts
I use yakima cross bars on 07 outback, hauls windsurfers and canoes no problem. Hauled a canoe on another outback with stock cross bars and was not impressed, after cinching down the boat bars appeared to be bending/twisting due to torque. Most aftermarket bars like yakima or thule are way stronger than oem in my experience.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I use yakima cross bars on 07 outback, hauls windsurfers and canoes no problem. Hauled a canoe on another outback with stock cross bars and was not impressed, after cinching down the boat bars appeared to be bending/twisting due to torque. Most aftermarket bars like yakima or thule are way stronger than oem in my experience.
When tying any item to the rack stock bars or after market you always tie back to the bar. This way your not adding compression load to the bars tied to some other location etc. end ties on long hulls take up end loading and reduce levered loads on the rack.

·
Registered
69 Posts
View attachment 433045

We saw a 8 point subie out of the wild...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey - that's mine ! Not literally, but I also have two thule hullivators on mine... I don't drive around with the empty carriers on there though cause it creates a ton of wind noise and has a noticable impact on mileage; I just remove them from the attachment pieces when the yaks are off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts