Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Going to be transporting canoe for the first time with my new (to me) 2016 Outback. I'm going to be using the looped nylon straps with a grommet. I've determined where I want to put these under the hood, but I'm struggling to find spots in the rear of the vehicle.

I've attached 2 pictures of a spot I think might work, but I don't know what this is. Does anyone know what this cover/screw is for?

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
446 Posts
I stopped using a rear tie-down. I use the front the keep the wind from trying to lift the canoe, but have down a few trips with just front and the top tie downs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Akhat,

My loops do go under the hood. There are a couple of types that I have seen. The type that I utilize actually bolt to the chassis under the hood. The other type consists of a round rubber tube that fits under the hood but does not bolt down. I have a greater comfort level knowing that the straps are bolted rather than loose under the hood. My canoe is 18' long and can collect a lot of wind. I strap down very tightly and I would worry about the loose rubber tube option.

I hope this helps. My rig that you can see in the photo has been very effective. I've only had to replace the Thule straps once (5-6 years). I do tie down to a rear hitch on my Outback. Some folks just criss cross on the roof rack if a hitch is not an option.

Good luck, have fun!

C

·
Registered
10 Posts
Akhat,

My loops do go under the hood. There are a couple of types that I have seen. The type that I utilize actually bolt to the chassis under the hood. The other type consists of a round rubber tube that fits under the hood but does not bolt down. I have a greater comfort level knowing that the straps are bolted rather than loose under the hood. My canoe is 18' long and can collect a lot of wind. I strap down very tightly and I would worry about the loose rubber tube option.

I hope this helps. My rig that you can see in the photo has been very effective. I've only had to replace the Thule straps once (5-6 years). I do tie down to a rear hitch on my Outback. Some folks just criss cross on the roof rack if a hitch is not an option.

Good luck, have fun!

C
Thanks! Yeah I have the rubber tube kind. I am pretty sure I can strap the yqk down well enough without doing stern and bow lines so I thinknit should still be ok with the rubber ones. You had to put the bolt in yourself no?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks! Yeah I have the rubber tube kind. I am pretty sure I can strap the yqk down well enough without doing stern and bow lines so I thinknit should still be ok with the rubber ones. You had to put the bolt in yourself no?
I use a bolt that is already in the chassis...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts