Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some brief backstory, I have recently bought a 1998 Subaru Outback Limited, EJ25D, 5MT, 242,000 miles, and it had a check engine light on when I bought it for P0325. I put a new Hitachi knock sensor in, and the CEL went off, however my code reader still shows the code. Now I have a P0139 (Rear O2 sensor response slow) code, and the CEL is on.

I have one of those Harbor Freight code readers, the ZR8, and it reads all the data fine, but when I try to clear a code it tells me to turn the ignition to on (which it is), and if I try to clear it, it will just keep telling me to turn the ignition to on. Now sometimes when the ignition is off I can try to clear the code, and it will will tell me that a reset request was sent, but that seems to do absolutely nothing.

I am curious if this is a known issue, or if anyone has any idea as to what could be wrong.

I've also recently attempted to program a new aftermarket keyless remote (those Remocon from yourkeylessremote), and while it will chirp 3 times, it doesn't respond at all to either remote they sent me. Don't if this is potentially related.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,464 Posts
Subaru Keyless Entry, Security Alarm, Immobilizer Key, Remote Start Systems. Most years and models

Here's a known issue: Most OTC scan tools do not communicate properly with Subaru. Its not just yours. If you are getting power to the tool, then its most likely the tool. Some read, but can't command an erase.

If you want to clear it, disconnect the battery. Then see if the engine light comes on again after connecting and restart. If the code comes right back, its probably a fail. The ECM picks up bad sensors, like heater circuits, knock sensor, MAP, BARO, etc., on first key cycle. Other codes come up after drive cycle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thanks, that's good to know. The CEL went off on its own so I'll keep on eye on it before deciding to replace the sensor.

Thanks for posting the Code Alarm link. I had tried that to no avail. I've got a known good Subaru GOH-M24 remote on order so we'll if that works as I don't know if my aftermarket remotes were cloned correctly or not. It seems the system works as it should but after 20 years I wouldn't be surprised if something is wrong in the keyless system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.