Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my OB is new - but I want some motor oil on hand in case I have to top off a bit or if I am working too much and cant get to the dealer to do my first oil change (may be a possibility as we are booked up 7 days a week for the next month or so at work).

Thing is, I can find a few quarts at my local Pep boys but I cant find anyone that has this oil in a more bulk form.

Costco doesnt carry it around here. I have called 3 Wallmarts (and I NEVER go to Wallmart) and they are all completely out of any form of it.

Any other suggestions as to who might sell a case or gallon or something more than a few high priced quarts of Synthetic 0W-20 - esp in the Southern California area?

Didnt know this would be so hard to find.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Odd.

There is plenty of 0w20 at Chicago area WalMarts. Perhaps ask if they could order some for you? I think Quaker State Ultimate Durability would be the least expensive, but still a really good oil.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Odd.

There is plenty of 0w20 at Chicago area WalMarts. Perhaps ask if they could order some for you? I think Quaker State Ultimate Durability would be the least expensive, but still a really good oil.

local small auto parts stores have a few quarts of one brand. I called 4 diff large Wallmarts and none of them even have 1 quart of it.

Perhaps Amazon will be my only choice.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
local small auto parts stores have a few quarts of one brand. I called 4 diff large Wallmarts and none of them even have 1 quart of it.

Perhaps Amazon will be my only choice.
You are putting more faith in Walmart personel than I ever do. 10 out of 10 times, they have no idea what is on the shelf, and couldn't find it if they looked. I believe a field trip is in order......If Wally world doesn't have it, a am betting Napa would.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
thats weird walmart doesn't have it, just go with amazon for whatever you can't find. they're not an evil organization. dont forget to order some bacon salt while you're shopping.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
I buy 0W20 oil online/internet! Most online stores have shipping for free and no sales tax!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I buy 0W20 oil online/internet! Most online stores have shipping for free and no sales tax!
I actually went to the Walmart today - just to ask them a question about it being out of stock in EVERY Wallmart within 50 miles of here.
They said it could be ordered and that was about it.

I have only shopped at Walmart once, reluctantly, in my life - to find some medication for my girl while in a small town when the drug stores were all out of it. Turned out Walmart was out too - so thankfully I didnt have to give them my money. I make a point to NEVER shop there, for many reasons. Anyone seen that documentary "Walmart - The high cost of a low price". Ironically - you can buy it from Walmart - lol!
Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price: TV Shows : Walmart.com

But I digress.

I only checked there because I found the oil hard to find around me and people here said they get it there. Well, dear God going into that place was just awful. Now I know why there is a site with photos of the people that shop there. Just dealing with the people in there was 20 times worse than going to the busy Costco on its busiest day.
I did ask them about the oil - they said it could be ordered. I was out of there.

So I decided that I will just take the advice here and order it online and I happened to stop in a Pep Boys that was near there and they had a some quarts in the Peak brand.
So I got a couple just in case I need to top off. My oil looks fine for now, as it should, but I just wanted some just in case it happens to look low at any time. I know I can get more there if I need. They had Mobil 1 at 8.99 a quart and the Peak at 6.99 p/q.

Thanks for all the advice as usual!

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,428 Posts
I live in the southbay. I just checked Walmart for 5 Quart jugs of Mobil 1 0w20 and a bunch of stores around here seem to have it. Not all of them though, but 0w20 is not exactly the most commonly used oil...yet

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
but 0w20 is not exactly the most commonly used oil...yet
It seems very popular for new cars, so I'm sure we'll see it getting more shelf space soon. 20 years ago it wasn't always easy to find 5w30 and the shelves were full of 10w40.

It might be a few years before the most modern cars are out of warranty and in the hands of DIYers.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Who goes to the store these days? Amazon Prime is free 2day delivery to your front door. LOL

Also look at your owners manual it will give you the oil weights vs outside temps which you can run. 0-20 weight is only one of I think two or three weights you might have as an option pending your outside temps right now. Costco tends to have plenty of that weight on hand also.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Subiesailor - how right you are! I hear Target is breathing on Amazon's neck and they claim that if you bring a copy of the Amazon order (printout) to their store they will match the price! Not sure how they will go about "matching" no tax sales...LOL

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Subiesailor - how right you are! I hear Target is breathing on Amazon's neck and they claim that if you bring a copy of the Amazon order (printout) to their store they will match the price! Not sure how they will go about "matching" no tax sales...LOL
Well California won and Amazon now charges sales tax for orders here.

I dont find 0w-20 weight at the 2 costcos near me, and one Walmart I spoke to on the phone DID say that as soon as it hits their shelves its gone cause a lot of the new cars take it.

I can say this - of the 3 or 4 car parts chains around here - Pep Boys
clearly has the better selection of MANY products, not just oil.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Check your owners manual I recall 10-30 might also be an option. Don't have the chart near me but I do recall there being other options other than just 0-20

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
the manual for my '12 impreza says that oil can be used for topping off, the fb20 burns a lot of oil. unless the fb25 is different but i doubt it.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Sequoia225
Have you ever tried NAPA? I found their prices and selection the best of all the "chains" and mass-retailers....

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sequoia225
Have you ever tried NAPA? I found their prices and selection the best of all the "chains" and mass-retailers....
There is not one near me but there is one directly on my way home. Ill give em a look.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
I bought snow chains for my son's 05 Forester at Napa store in Mammoth. By far the best place to buy anything automotive in that neck of the woods up there! Likewise, I buy all my aftermarket stuff at Napa (I have a wholesale account with them) here, where I live. If they don't have it "in stock" you can order it on Napa's internet online store and pick the stuff up at your closest Napa location to your house. Napa beats PepBoys, O'Reilly and Track Auto price wise and selection wise, in my humble opinion. One caution though - do your shopping online first, make a print-out and bring it to the store. Napa stores are not set up same way as other retailers - you can't see most of the stuff on display there - you have to do the shopping online!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts