Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Subaru Outback.
I am converting my 4 pin trailer harness to a flat 5 pin. The extra pin is to power a solenoid to disable the surge brake actuator when backing up. All I have to do is connect it to the wire powering the back up lights. Despite time on the internet and search of this forum I am not having success. I know the wire is brown with a yellow stripe. I popped the panel over the backup light on the trunk lid and it is there - brown/yellow. I have taken off the rear side panels on the driver side and have tried to trace the bundle of wires going up in the rear corner pillar. Have opened the bundle and none of wires are brown/yellow. Any hints on where to locate the rear backup wire would be appreciated.

·
Registered
16,290 Posts
From what I see on the 2011 wiring diagram I have, back-up light wiring for a trailer is already included.

The trailer connector (in the cargo area, left side) is an 8 pin connector. Pin 3 should carry the 12 V backup light power when in Reverse. The wire there should be the same, brown with yellow stripe.

Subaru uses an adapter to connect the trailer connector to the trailer. The adapter converts the car's wiring, which has separate stop lights and signal lights, to that of trailers, which combine the stop and turn signal lights. The adapter should include the backup lights as well.

Let us know if this is correct; someone else might find this thread looking for the same information in future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yellow/brown backup wire found!

Dear plain OM-

You have solved my problem. Backup wire (brown/yellow) does go into the harness connector. With my 4 pin it does not leave connector, but I can easily tap above connector. Maybe Subaru did/does make a 5 or more pin connector.

Thanks a million-
Ted

·
Registered
16,290 Posts
The back-up light wiring to the trailer connector was added with the 4th generation Outbacks. There's no back-up light wiring to the connector on the 2005-9.

On the 2005-9, the trailer connector was 6-pins rather than the 8 pin size on your 2011. The trailer adapter/converter would probably be different between the two, both to accommodate the larger connector in the 2011, and to provide the conversion through the adapter to enable back-up lights on trailers so-equipped. For example, on the Draw-tite website the 2007 and 2011 use different adapters, 118461 and 118467 respectively. Based on the photos, the 2011 version appears to have larger connectors on both ends.

If this is the case, you might not have to tap into the back-up wire -- the proper trailer connector adapter will bring the back-up signal all the way to the trailer, if that's where you want the solenoid.

Let us know how it works out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
plain OM
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing