Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Thanks for your help on previous posts. I'm installing a remote started in my '01 VDC the instructions call for a connection to the tach wire. and the heater blower motor wire (high current).

Listings on this forum say the tach wire is located at the coil but I have looked and looked and just can't find it. Electronics are my thing... but not motors.

I also can't find the blower motor wire. I presume this allows the heater to run when the car is remote started.

If anyone can help me with these two wires I would be so happy. Everything else is wired.

Thanks, Craig

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
The blower wire is yellow wire in the ignition switch harness (and should be 12 or 10 awg) and the tach wire is yellow with a green stripe at the coil. I usually pull back some of the loom on the wiring harness and you should be able to find it there. There is usually two wires (maybe a couple more) that exit the coil and just tap into it there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for replying.

My brother in law had his Outback (same model) over which has a dealer installed remote starter. We traced it's wires to a few locations but without a wiring diagram for his starter, couldn't be sure what a couple of them are. One wire, a high current one, was attached to a yellow with a black stripe in the ignition harness. I know you said yellow but could that the heater wire too? If it helps, when testing it, it acted like an ACC wire. 12v in all key position except when cranking.

We looked throughout the engine compartment but couldn't find the coil wire. His starter only had one wire we could trace to the engine compartment, the hood switch. Perhaps they used a wire inside somewhere for the Tach signal. I traced one wire on his remote starter to an Orange with a White stripe wire in a large harness in the dash behind the foglight switch. It appeared to have about 5v A/C on it when I tested it (showed five volts with my meter turned to AC, black wire on ground, red wire on this Orange and White wire). Again without a diagram of the wires on his starter I didn't want to randomly use unknown wires. I looked over a diagram in the online service manual and it shows an Orange and White wire going from the Instrument Cluster to the ECM. Also shown on this diagram is a Green/Black wire which I found online elsewhere to be the Speed Sense wire. It makes sense that the Orange/white wire next to it in the diagram would belong to the Tach. There could be other Orange and White wires though so who's to say I've got the right one... except that my brother in law's starter uses this wire for something. The 2003 wiring list i found on Modified Life shows and Orange and White wire at the ECM.

I would preffer to find the coil wire. The same diagram in the online service manual shows six ignition coils, each with three wires, none of them yellow/green.

Could you please give me a quick description of where in the engine compartment it is located? My car is the H6 engine.

Thanks again for the reply. This is really helpful.

Craig

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, so I figured something out, The y/g wire in the coils is only on the H4 engine. This wire goes back through a connector and becomes a r/y wire where it enters the ECM.

The H6 engine has six coils. Each has it's own wire that goes back to the ECM. Using one of the coil wires is not recommended. I learned from a post on another forum:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452416

...that if you can't find a tach wire, you can use any of the odd coloured wires on one of the six fuel injectors. In this case they would be Br(brown), Y(yellow), P(pink), L(blue), V(purple), Lg(light green), located at ECM or at connector B22 (http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subar...TEM SECTION/Wiring System/MSA5T0108A17378.pdf ).

Going back to Orange/white wire. By deciphering the wiring diagrams in the service manual, I was able to isolate just what the wire is that my brother in laws starter is attached to. It is pin C4 located at the B36 SMJ (super multi junction connector, this is the connector right behind the fuse panel that has like 100 wires coming out of it - you can't miss it http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subar...TEM SECTION/Wiring System/MSA5T0108A17330.pdf )and according to the diagram, goes from the instrument cluster to the ECM. This must be a tach wire. No other reason for it to have been used.

Craig.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've also learned that the yellow and black wire I referred to is a wiper switch wire. My brother in laws starter has wiper interrupt so the relay attached to this wire must cut power to the wipers.

I'll go with the yellow wire as you suggested.

Craig

·
Registered
832 Posts
Good stuff!! I'm glad that you are doing some research before you go blindly tapping wires. You can always pull the heater controls and see what the wire looks like and verify continuity between the two points. As for the coil, I just looked on a site that I usually refer to for installs. They only list that one color for the tach signal, but I'm glad you found a post from someone with similar issues. One other place to get tach signal is behind the cluster, but that can be just as hard to get to!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No kidding. Back in the day when I was learning and impatient, I grabbed onto wires that did all kinds of weird things, but that was before the internet and forums like this.

I traced the path of the yellow wire, in the diagrams, and it doesn't specifically lead to the heater blower motor. It looks like it powers all of the accessories which the A/C control center is part of. The wire on starter I think is called the accessory wire anyway, and the description in the instructions says to attach it to the heater blower. The heater blower is powered through the Green ignition wire circuit, which gets turned on by the A/C control center. The green ignition wire is powered with the starter as well. I guess between the two of them, the heater works. We'll see. The starter in my brother in laws car has a wire going to the yellow wire and his fan works so that must be it, as you suggested. He doesn't have a wire going to the heater controls them selves.

As for the tach wire. In the wiring diagrams it shows the Y/G wire on the H4 only. The O/W I found (as used in the brother in laws car) does go top the instrument cluster so I think we're good.

Once I get it finished and tested I'll post a special post listing all of the colours I used in this install. Not like too many people are working on 2001s these days but you never know. The info I was able to search out was very helpful. More can't hurt.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Craig

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK so we finished the starter this afternoon and used the yellow wire for the ACC/FAN and the orange/white wire for the tach.

Everything works as it should so it must be right.

Craig

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'm glad you finally got it installed and working correctly. It's a great sense of accomplishment!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.