Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am trying to download the ROM from the ECU and I can't find the green plugs to get the vehicle in test mode. Does anyone know where they are located on a 2005 Subaru Outback? I have seen posts about being under the rug on the passengers side and others that say behind the fuse box on the drivers side. I was hoping for a definitive answer before I go tearing the car apart looking for the plugs.

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
NM - I found them tucked up under the carpet in the passengers foot well area towards the top left. I reached up into the area and found two, unattached green plugs.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Green plugs are on the front left edge of the right front footwell in USA models.

There is another set of similar connectors (grey hoods) next to the dash fuse panel- they are there for the built-in OBDII scanner, 2005 models only. The gray connectors were eliminated after 2005.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
So, here's what I have found on my 05 OB R LL Bean wagon.

Driver's side, fuse block access panel, fold down door and pull outward and it will release. With the driver's door open, insert your hand inside the hole for the fuse block and push against the end panel on the dash and it should pop out. I think there are 3 retainer clips holding it. This allows you to get better access to the wiring and a light to see.

There are 2 sets of connectors that are usually taped onto the harness. One set is white (those are diagnostics for the odometer when connected together) in the same area there are a set of green ones there too. Those may be what you are looking for. They are located closer to the steering column and mine had blue tape holding them in place.

I hope this helps but I don't guarantee my advise applies to your vehicle. It seems there are several variations to the procedure in the early production of the gen 3's.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,693 Posts
I have a vague memory of reading they were near the steering column too.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,141 Posts
I have an '05 and '06. Both have test connectors under the passenger side footwell.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
Wait, I remember finding them in the rear spare tire well or was it the air fliter box...LOL!

So there you have it! I'm sure all responders are correct. I guess it could have been determined during the month of production or something.

It would be very easy to look where I've told you and If you don't see the wires taped with blue electrical tape or they are dangling, then move to the passenger side.

I have no doubt traildogck is right on about his vehicles too!

Hey guys, he already found them while we were rambling! His were on the passenger side like traildogck's!
Subbie2005, you gotta slow down and let us old farts catch up!!!!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,305 Posts
I have a vague memory of reading they were near the steering column too.
I remember them on 80s subarus over the gas pedal.

US spec 2004 and earlier are over the gas pedal, and on my 2002 cars they are there.

...then in 2005 legacy /legacy outback, moved to passenger side.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,141 Posts
I have no doubt traildogck is right on about his vehicles too!

Hey guys, he already found them while we were rambling! His were on the passenger side like traildogck's!
Subbie2005, you gotta slow down and let us old farts catch up!!!!
Yeah, I have flashed way to many times not to know about the 2005-2006 location.

You got old fart right, I resemble that remark. No-D*mn throttle cable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts