Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping that someone can advise me about where to find the trailer wiring plug on my 2013. I just put on a hitch and I have the wiring, but I can't find the plug where I read it is supposed to be. I installed hitches and wiring on 04 and 08 outbacks with no problem, and I was able to reach in by the inside of the driver's side fender and there it was. From what I had read that is how this car is supposed to be, but I can't find one. There is a 12V 120W outlet on the driver's side higher up. There is a wire that comes in or goes out through the metal fender near where I would expect the trailer wiring to be, but it runs up and joins a larger wiring harness just below the rear window. I can't take a picture, I don't how to remove the inner plastic wall in the trunk so I am doing this all by pulling it away at the bottom and reaching up in there. I also felt around on the passenger side but I couldn't feel any wiring over there. If anyone can help me with what to do next I will be very grateful, as I am stumped. Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
522 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Go to the rear cargo area and lift up the rear cargo cover to get to the spare tire. Remove the tire and then the gray shaped foam "spacer" and the wiring harness should be located on the driver's side. In short, you'll need to remove everything under the cargo mat to get to the harness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your help. I have already removed everything from the cargo area floor, and have been sitting in the spare tire well to be able to reach up under the side plastic panels further. There is no wiring in the tire well, unless it's under the grey material that is glued to the metal on the bottom.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
522 Posts
It is possible that the trailer wiring connector might be under the gray material, or have slipped back to the lower left side where you can’t readily get at it. I know with my 2011 OB, it was darn near impossible to find.

Reactions: m75rlg

·
Registered
2014 Outback, 2.5 Premium / CVT
144 Posts
It was there in the 2014. It was taped tight to the harnes as it came down, a bit higher than it needed to be, IMO. That makes it harder to find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for helping me with this. I have found the plug, finally. It was taped to the top of the front driver's side cargo tiedown, just behind the back seat. In order to find it I had to pull out that black fuzzy sheet of material that lines the side of the cargo area. Luckily I was able to get it pulled off from the plastic trim around the tiedown and later to pop it back on again without tearing it. I couldn't feel it with my hand before removing the black stuff because where the tiedown is there is a little metal frame that connects to the body, so there was no room for my hand in that one spot. I was surprised that the plug was that far forward, it seems like it would be more logical for a trailer wiring plug to be close to the rear of the cargo area, not in the front corner. All's well that ends well, I guess. I appreciate all of your taking time to answer my questions.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,592 Posts
when you are done with it I would put it back where it goes so it does not get damaged by anything

1 - 8 of 8 Posts