Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm replacing the head gaskets on my 1999 Impreza OB Sport. It's the EJ222 engine, and I'm having issues getting the driver side head off the block. I've removed all the bolts, but it just won't budge.

The passenger side was a breeze, and just slid right off after I found a screw that was holding it on a piece of plastic by the cam crank. Even before removing that screw, it at least shifted so I knew it was free.

The driver side doesn't move at all, and I can't find any extra bolts holding it in place.

There is also a little bit of some powder that came out of the top center bolt when I removed it. It is visible in the picture.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
iirc, the rear timing cover, the one behind the cam sprocket has some bolts in the head and the block.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
the only bolt that I can think off should be from the front, lower part of the timing cover, next to water pump - other than that I can't think of anything - the head should at least budge a little even with that bolt in there - look from underneath - easy to spot... try a mallet - tap top of the head - don't try prying - it won't work and you might damage head beyond repair.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
I'll have to look in the morning then. Thanks!

Any idea about the powder?
I wouldn't worry about the powder - seems that antifreeze leaked and that's probably just residue after antifreeze evaporated. I had the same thing with one of the bottom bolts - where oil leaked and there was gunk inside the bolt hole - just clean it up and you'll be fine - make sure there is nothing left in the bolt hole or in the threads in the engine block.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got it. The bolt in the timing belt cover was the one on the passenger side. The driver side just needed a little encouragement from a mallet.

Tapping from the top did nothing, I had to tap the cam sprocket for a while and eventually it started separating.

Now to clean things up!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
I've heard people using just razors to scrape whatever residue left on the heads but when I replaced heads in my Outback I used a sender - got some nice smooth finish after I was done - learned that from a Subaru mechanic - usually they would just use abrasive wheel attached to a drill - I think that if you use a sander you get more even surface. Blow out any debris, turn cam sprockets, open valves and get a rag in there to clean inlet and exhaust ports... when installing timing belt make sure you've got all the wheels right on the mark and that the tensioner has put some pressure on the belt before turning by hand - turn by hand (wrench attached to the crank bolt) to make sure belt does sit firmly on all the wheels and that it didn't skip a notch...

good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts