Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 1/2 way through replacing my rear struts on my '05 H6.
Seeing I've done this before on other cars, I ordered the KYB's per this website's suggestions, new mounts, and rented the MacPherson Strut Compression Tool.
I've got two concerns, and I'm stumped.
1) Aligning the bolt patterns for the top and bottom of the strut: any suggestions?
2) Now I can't get the struts back on. I can't get enough compression on the springs. I need to jack the control arm?
Yes, the car is halfway in the garage on jacks. (did I jinx, myself? ) Neighbors should appreciate I leave it like that overnight.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,433 Posts
I'm 1/2 way through replacing my rear struts on my '05 H6.
Seeing I've done this before on other cars, I ordered the KYB's per this website's suggestions, new mounts, and rented the MacPherson Strut Compression Tool.
I've got two concerns, and I'm stumped.
1) Aligning the bolt patterns for the top and bottom of the strut: any suggestions?
2) Now I can't get the struts back on. I can't get enough compression on the springs. I need to jack the control arm?
Yes, the car is halfway in the garage on jacks. (did I jinx, myself? ) Neighbors should appreciate I leave it like that overnight.
There's a trick to it, jack the ends of the suspension links downward to create enough room for the spring assembly to go in and line up.

The stock emergency jack, turned upside-down, works beautifully for this.

More ideas on this link for a 2000 car, but should still give you the right idea.

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phew, got done at midnight.
Thanks for the link, Rasterman.
I got my inspiration here:

I was trying what you mentioned but I was worried about the task until I saw other links online of people doing the same thing. Yes, it's tricky for sure.
New tires last week and I held off until the struts were installed before my alignment which I'll have done tomorrow. I'll give an update on the changes I experience. Comparing the old struts to the new ones, they truly needed to be replaced.
Now for some needed rest.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts