Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru outback 2.5
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to install the start installing a new timing belt and water pump, when I went to set up the cam sprockts after i had set up the crankshaft i couldn't set up the marks for thecam sprockets . It was hitting something in the way. Can anyone help me with this problem.:surprise:

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,560 Posts
Are you suggesting that when you attempt to turn the cam sproket, it hits some resistance INSIDE the engine so you cannot turn it any further?

It is a GOOD thing that you did not try to force it :)

I suspect a valve is hitting the top of a piston. Perhaps you can try to turn the crank a little to move the pistons... then re-try adjusting the cam-sproket to the proper position. (then re-set the crank to proper place.)

At all times DO NOT force anything.

(I believe a better way to do this task is to LOCK IN PLACE all the sprockets before removing the tensionor and belt..... then everything remains in the proper timing)

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,333 Posts
are you using the arrow, triangle on the front of the crank sprocket for timing?

that's TDC cyl#1 - you want mid-travel on all pistons - the belt install mark is a dash/groove on a metal tab at the rear of the crank sprocket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts